"Master" Boot / Restore Disks using Optical Media

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
krbjmpr

"Master" Boot / Restore Disks using Optical Media

Post by krbjmpr »

IFW v2 (3 licenses, yeah, I know), IFL v2 also. Been using IFL/IFW for 10 years, haven't found the need to upgrade to v3 just yet.

3 machines, 1 windows and 2 linux. Each has a host OS, and runs VMs that use physical drives. I make backups regularly, but restoring them is getting out of hand. Sure, restoring from network is fine, but IFW/IFL has no way to throttle. Restoring from USB has become problematic due to errors creeping in. What I would like to use is BDXL (triple layer, 100GB) media. But, media has to ultimately be bootable AND contain the restore file(s).

What would be the best way to approach this? Take the ISO of IFW Recovery Disk and use it to create a bootable BDXL disk that restore files can be added to? That is pretty much what I have done with IFL, though I do have to mount the directory containing restore files. Is there a better way?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: "Master" Boot / Restore Disks using Optical Media

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You could try it and see if it works. I know BD and BD-RE work -- not sure about BDXL, though (if supported, depending on the total size may need to bump up a value in the config file). The general procedure is shown in this KB article: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=632

Note that you would need to use the current TBWinRE/PE files with the current MakeDisk utility. Download links are in the KB article.

Regarding the USB errors, if it's a single drive it could be the drive going bad. If multiple drives are involved it could be the port or controller, etc. If possible, you could try using a different port or controller or even a PCIe USB card.
krbjmpr

Post by krbjmpr »

USB Errors
A drive will work for a while, but then stops working flawlessly | errors begin to creep in. I have yet to experience a bad restore due to errors as I check SHA256 before attempts but on different workstation. Given the number of trips I do, I suspect it is cumulative damage from xray machines / backscatter scanners at airports as well as radiography elements that would be expected in a hospital. I have tried lead lined bags for high speed film. Airport / DHS Screeners know what is in the bag, but they want to see if they can see through it and just increase power until they do...damaging the drives. Several complaints have been lodged, but none have yet to be addressed. Same scenarios also yield similar albeit delayed results in media supposedly designed for said environments (ruggedized?).

BD-XL is just a broad catchall category. To be specific, my media is BD-R Triple Layer which yields 100GB of usefulness. The actual media that I am using specifies 1000 years of integrity. mDisc. I have yet to have one "rot" on me.

Thanks for the link, I will take a look and follow it.
krbjmpr

Post by krbjmpr »

Tried to create recovery / restore disks using WinRE and WinPE. What a P.I.T.A.! Theoretically, since the AIT/AIK is for "another computer" it shoud work but ... wow. These workstation / faux servers are all customized existing hardware, there is no factory / oem wim located on them. Started, and finished, the download for Win10 AIT/AIK for Win 10 v2004. 6GB download, and I think something on the order of 17GB expanded / installed.

I think IFL is going to be my best bet despite having to manually mount the bluray disk. FWIW, I don't think it is a symptom of Bluray, also occurs when using DVD-DL, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc. Once I get into the details, I am sure I can come up with an auto-mount script. Basically, its mounting a folder as a drive, otherwise, though I can browse to the restore file, IFL won't use it unless is in its own location.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Sounds like you may have downloaded the entire ADK instead of just the parts needed. I show under 4GB for the 2004 download and about 2.8GB installed. Also, there's no need to download and install multiple times. You can install on one system and then copy the installed files to the other system(s) (e.g. C:\ADK2004). Then set the Source folder to the files in TBWinPE/RE Builder -- the ADK doesn't need to be installed, the files just need to be available.

Another alternative would be to create the TBWinRE (or TBWinPE) build on one system and then copy the built "TBWinRE/PE" folder to the other system and run MakeDisk after adding the backup image files. Or create the build on one system and copy the backup image files to that system before creating the disc.

Of course, both of those methods assume it will boot up properly on the systems. Not sure what you meant by "should work but... wow" -- maybe you checked and it doesn't.

For IFL, when creating the boot media, you could try using the option to leave the boot media mounted. To do this, use the "Traditional ... (Custom)" option for the media and select the "Leave Boot Drive Mounted as /tbu/boot" option. Then access the backup in IFL using the "File (OS)" method and browse to /tbu/boot.