Task manager error (0xD)

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
bobkaron

Task manager error (0xD)

Post by bobkaron »

Had backups running in scheduler before and were working fine. We made some network changes and went to create new backups and now they just wont run.
So we are trying to backup one server to a shared folder on the network. This was working before. Lets say the path is \\backuppc\sharedfolder\
It was a passworded folder and there was a drive mapped to it (Z:)
We created a task in Image for Windows to run nightly but it fails moments after starting with just (0xD) as the result.
I tried using the Mapped Drive and the Path. Same result. I tried removing the protecting and sharing the older to Everyone, same result.
If i run the backup manually in Image for Windows, it works fine. It just wont run as a Scheduled Task. Not using any special parameters. Not passworded backup. Nothing special at all, all defaults.
Works fine if i open the program and just jump through the screens and do it myself, just not as a task.
The command in task manager it creates is
/wait /b /uy /um /d:w1 /f:"y:\backupfile.tbi"
(using full path /wait /b /uy /um /d:w1 /f:"\\backuppc\sharedfolder\backupfile.tbi") does the same error)

Any suggestions what could be different as a task that would cause (0xD) ?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Task manager error (0xD)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You may need to add the /login parameter and specify the username and password for the share.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=377
bobkaron

Post by bobkaron »

I will give it a try, but if its going to a mapped drive which worked before seems strange it would need that. Also i made the share no longer protected at all and still didnt work. But will try that anyway.
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

Was a log file produced? If not, maybe the error is due to where the log file is being written to.
( I wish all possible error codes were documented in the manuals !)
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

For mapped drives see
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=633

better to use UNC if you can.

On 8/8/2020 1:40 PM, bobkaron wrote:
> I will give it a try, but if its going to a mapped drive which worked before seems strange it would need that. Also i made the share no longer protected at all and still didnt work. But will try that anyway.
>
>

bobkaron

Post by bobkaron »

Looked at this, it had nothing to do with my issues unfortunately. So again. I have a share, which is shared with EVERYONE permissions. not blocked at all.
I have a mapped drive to it.
I setup a task through Image for Windows to backup to it, tried both through the mapped drive or through the network path (e.g. \\backupserver\sharedfolder\ )
and every time the task runs, it ends a few seconds later with the Last Run Result of (0xD). This is on Server 2016. This worked fine before. Only since i deleted the old tasks and wanted to make new ones has this started for some reason.
Windows sees the Drive and path just fine.
I can run the backups in image for windows manually with no problems. Only as a task does it not work.
the action in task scheduled is as follows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe /wait /b /uy /um /d:w1 /f:"\\backupserver\sharedfolder\backupfile.tbi"

Its driving me nuts. :)
bobkaron

Post by bobkaron »

I finally got it to start logging the error which is of course

[8/29/2020 8:43:32 AM] C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe /wait /b /uy /um /d:w1 /f: \\backupserver\sharedfolder\backupfile.tbi
[8/29/2020 8:43:32 AM] Path not found
[8/29/2020 8:43:32 AM] Program exiting with error code 13

BUT its simply not true. I can browse to the path \\backupserver\sharedfolder\ with no problems what to ever. Its also mapped as a drive that i can get to with no problems. In image for windows, i CAN backup to it with NO Problems. Its only when its a scheduled task that Image for Windows wont backup to it.

What the heck?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

If you haven't already, try this test. Run through the IFW screens until the final, Summary screen. Click Show Command, Save to file, OK, etc and make a batch file.

Manually run the batch file. If it works, schedule the batch file.
bobkaron

Post by bobkaron »

Good Thinking! Yes, that does seem to work since that actually executes the program in the foreground as if running it manually (which always works if I run it myself). Where as task scheduler does not run it the same way.
So the batch file method does solve the problem.
Does annoy me though not knowing why it has a path problem running the other way but it is a work around.
Simple solution but great idea.

Thanks Brian!

-Bob
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

bobkaron wrote:
! Yes, that does seem to work since that actually executes the
> program in the foreground as if running it manually (which always works if
> I run it myself).

Bob, you can make Task Scheduler run the batch file in the background by selecting "Run whether user is logged on or not".