IFW Restore to smaller (but adequate) partition

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
engineerguy3809

IFW Restore to smaller (but adequate) partition

Post by engineerguy3809 »

I have made a complete IFW image of my 2TB drive that contains two partitions. My C partition is the Windows OS and my D partition is my data. I need to a restore to a spare 1.5TB drive that easily has adequate space to accommodate all files in both partitions but I'm not certain of the steps how to do so. When I attempt to do a simple restore I'm getting "inadequate space" errors. All my previous images and restores have been to drives with the exact same capacity. Can someone advise or point me to a previous forum posting that can help or a Knowledge Base article if applicable?
Brian K

Re: IFW Restore to smaller (but adequate) partition

Post by Brian K »

engineerguy3809,

To pin down the issue, what is the GiB to Restore (from IFW) for each partition? How does this correlate with the size of each partition?
engineerguy3809

Post by engineerguy3809 »

Thx,
After review, the sizes of my original and restore target partitions are likely what is in conflict.
Seems that the drive I pulled out to use as my temporary restore target has sufficient overall capacity, but the OS partition size is indeed too small for the original partition to fit into.
I thought a full restore of both partitions would write over all the existing target partition info, apparently not.
I'm OK with destroying all data currently on the target HD. Do I need to fully wipe it clean to remove old partition data first and then do my image restore or is there a simpler method?
I've had IFW for well over a decade, but all I've done (to date) is image & restore to the same size HD, so some of this is a bit new to me.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

If going to larger drive, use scale to fit, for smaller drive, same but
may be limited or need additional options, see
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554

On 7/21/2020 9:08 AM, engineerguy3809 wrote:
> Thx,
> After review, the sizes of my original and restore target partitions are likely what is in conflict.
> Seems that the drive I pulled out to use as my temporary restore target has sufficient overall capacity, but the OS partition size is indeed too small for the original partition to fit into.
> I thought a full restore of both partitions would write over all the existing target partition info, apparently not.
> I'm OK with destroying all data currently on the target HD. Do I need to fully wipe it clean to remove old partition data first and then do my image restore or is there a simpler method?
> I've had IFW for well over a decade, but all I've done (to date) is image & restore to the same size HD, so some of this is a bit new to me.
>
>