BitLocker fun and a SQ about mounting an image as a HD

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

BitLocker fun and a SQ about mounting an image as a HD

Postby Scott » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Soon after receiving a new Windows 10 system, I used TBIHD to mount an image on it from my previous Windows 10 installation. When I was done, Windows wouldn't let me dismount the image, which concerned me--what was Windows doing with that mounted Windows volume? (And it was literally Windows itself that had open file handles preventing the dismount; I believe it was the "System" process, but I can't remember for sure.)

After the required reboot, I could swear that something about the partitions on my new system's drive looked different in Disk Management. I believe the "System" and "Recovery" labels no longer appeared, as they had before.

So, maybe this is a stupid question, but would mounting and accessing a Windows 10 image as a hard disk with TBIHD cause a running Windows 10 system to automatically make changes in the background--and potentially, changes that wouldn't affect boot until BitLocker was enabled?

Today, I tried using BitLocker to encrypt my Windows volume, but it rendered my system unbootable during the pre-encryption system check: My BIOS didn't even recognize my Windows 10 drive as bootable.

Any idea if these two events are related, and/or what Windows/BitLocker would have changed to cause this issue?
Last edited by Scott on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Re: BitLocker fun and a SQ about mounting an image as a HD

Postby Scott » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:13 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by Scott on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Postby Scott » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:14 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by Scott on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Postby TeraByte Support » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 pm

The only thing that happens is if you don't change the signature and
it's an image of the hard drive, the mounted drive will be offline since
you can't have two with the same signature. Bringing it online would
make the mounted one have a new sig which if you then backed up wouldn't
work. If you change sign on mount, all that is handled. If it's from
another system, then don't have to change signatures on mount.

On 4/24/2020 5:11 PM, Scott wrote:
> Soon after receiving a new Windows 10 system, I used TBIHD to mount an image on it from my previous Windows 10 installation. When I was done, Windows wouldn't let me dismount the image, which concerned me--what was Windows doing with that mounted Windows volume? (And it was literally Windows itself that had open file handles preventing the dismount; I believe it was the "System" process, but I can't remember for sure.)
>
> After the required reboot, I could swear that something about the partitions on my new system's drive looked different in Disk Management. I believe the "System" and "Recovery" labels no longer appeared, as they had before.
>
> So, maybe this is a stupid question, but would mounting and accessing a Windows 10 image as a hard disk with TBIHD cause a running Windows 10 system to automatically make changes in the background--and potentially, changes that wouldn't affect boot until BitLocker was enabled?
>
> Today, I tried using BitLocker to encrypt my Windows volume, but it rendered my system unbootable during the pre-encryption system check: My BIOS didn't even recognize my Windows 10 drive as bootable.
>
> Any idea if these two events are related, and/or what Windows/BitLocker would have changed to cause this issue?
>
>

TeraByte Support

Postby Scott » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:48 am

The image was from a different system, so the signatures would not have been an issue.

It occurs to me that other changes may have occurred to my drive when I mounted that image, but that would be a Windows issue and not a TeraByte issue, because Windows is always to a certain extent a black box with no accountability.

I would really appreciate it if someone could clue me into what BitLocker's pre-encryption system check might have done to make my drive unrecognizable to the BIOS and completely unbootable. I've asked elsewhere, but I get completely inane responses telling me to use System Restore, or "It works for me, therefore it's your fault", etc.
Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:39 pm

I believe I may have had an administrator password enabled in my BIOS at the time. Is it feasible that this could have prevented Windows from updating the UEFI bootloader entry necessary for BitLocker to function? Does this even make sense?

Again, I know that this is not a Windows forum, but absolute no one else seems to have a clue about these things.
Scott

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows