Need some help writing image to DVD drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Brian K » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Michael,

An image of Win10 fitting on a single DVD is too good to be true. I'd create an image on a HD and compare image sizes. Please let us know what you find.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:24 am

Brian K wrote:
> Michael,
>
> An image of Win10 fitting on a single DVD is too good to be true. I'd
> create an image on a HD and compare image sizes. Please let us know what
> you find.


Brian, See attached image...

You are correct..!

There is something not right..

Attached is the contents of DVD using IFL Gui
I not only have windows 10 home installed, but Office 2013, Adobe Acrobat p Pro Extended also..
I will do a backup of the same to my hard drive and post that too for the comparison...

Michael
Attachments
Samsung SSD Backup IFL to DVD  03 29 20.jpg
Samsung SSD Backup IFL to DVD 03 29 20.jpg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Bob Coleman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:12 pm

I don't know what's happening here. The files

SamSungBackup_0.1
SamSungBackup_0.2
SamSungBackup_0.tbi

look suspiciously like the first three parts of a valid backup for which a second DVD was never requested or inserted.

I previously mentioned that I did this yesterday. I have

Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.1
Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.2
Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.tbi

on my first DVD.

I can't cite the exact wording right now, but after that DVD was written, it was ejected and a request was made to insert the next DVD or something like that. I did and that DVD contains

Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.3
Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.4
Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.5

You should expect this to happen many times if backing up a Win10 system disk to DVD.

If that didn't happen, I don't know why, but if you succeed in getting a backup on a hard disk, Terabyte has a program BingBurn which will (should) burn the backup file on the hard disk to multiple DVDs. I used to do that, but as I previously said, it's been a long time since I've tried to use DVDs for this. While it should be possible, I somewhat question the practicality of using DVDs to back up a Win10 system though I may have done it with a Win7 system. I don't quite remember when I stopped using DVDs.

Can your system boot and/or write USB sticks. If so, that's probably more practical.

Do you have the Terabyte Backup and Restore Suite installed or just have IFD and now IFL? I ask because it you have the suite, you already have BingBurn. If not, you'd have to find it on the Terabyte web site (something else I haven't done recently).

Also are you using a purchased or trial version of whatever you are using. If a trial version, that might be the cause of some of the oddities here. I don't remember if that could be the case or not. Probably not, but it's worth considering.

We've already discussed the pitfalls of a trial restore, but I'd at least run a validate on your backup file. That might have told you right away that something was wrong with your backup.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Bob Coleman wrote:
> I don't know what's happening here. The files
>
> SamSungBackup_0.1
> SamSungBackup_0.2
> SamSungBackup_0.tbi
>
> look suspiciously like the first three parts of a valid backup for which a
> second DVD was never requested or inserted.
>
> I previously mentioned that I did this yesterday. I have
>
> Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.1
> Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.2
> Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.tbi
>
> on my first DVD.
>
> I can't cite the exact wording right now, but after that DVD was written,
> it was ejected and a request was made to insert the next DVD or something
> like that. I did and that DVD contains
>
> Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.3
> Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.4
> Backup-l0-0x4-2020-03-28-1729.5
>
> You should expect this to happen many times if backing up a Win10 system
> disk to DVD.
>
> If that didn't happen, I don't know why, but if you succeed in getting a
> backup on a hard disk, Terabyte has a program BingBurn which will (should)
> burn the backup file on the hard disk to multiple DVDs. I used to do that,
> but as I previously said, it's been a long time since I've tried to use
> DVDs for this. While it should be possible, I somewhat question the
> practicality of using DVDs to back up a Win10 system though I may have done
> it with a Win7 system. I don't quite remember when I stopped using DVDs.
>
> Can your system boot and/or write USB sticks. If so, that's probably more
> practical.
>
> Do you have the Terabyte Backup and Restore Suite installed or just have
> IFD and now IFL? I ask because it you have the suite, you already have
> BingBurn. If not, you'd have to find it on the Terabyte web site
> (something else I haven't done recently).
>
> Also are you using a purchased or trial version of whatever you are using.
> If a trial version, that might be the cause of some of the oddities here.
> I don't remember if that could be the case or not. Probably not, but it's
> worth considering.
>
> We've already discussed the pitfalls of a trial restore, but I'd at least
> run a validate on your backup file. That might have told you right away
> that something was wrong with your backup.

Brian,
I bought IFD and IFL together.. I'm a licensed user..

I did choose validate too... I ran 3 back ups and they all turned out the same..
The program gives you no warning that it can't burn multiple DVD's..

I'll burn to hard drive and post the results...

Michael

Michael
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby DrTeeth » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:58 pm

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 18:12:32 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>It's frightening to do a test restore on to a working system in case it doesn't work, but how do you know it will work in the future if you don't test it?

I always make sure I have enough spare space on my OS drive so I can
do a test restore, creating a *copy* of the working system.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:23 pm

Brian,

the Attached Image is the Backup to the Hardrive...


Michael
Attachments
Samsung SSD Backup to Hardrive.jpg
Samsung SSD Backup to Hardrive.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Brian K » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Michael,

That looks good. That's how I do image backups. To another drive in the computer. I'd expect your image to do a 100% successful restore. I haven't seen any failed restores with TeraByte images.

I haven't imaged to optical media for ten years but I just did a test and saw the same result Bob reported. So I've no idea why your system is misbehaving.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Brian K wrote:
> Michael,
>
> That looks good. That's how I do image backups. To another drive in the
> computer. I'd expect your image to do a 100% successful restore. I haven't
> seen any failed restores with TeraByte images.
>
> I haven't imaged to optical media for ten years but I just did a test and
> saw the same result Bob reported. So I've no idea why your system is
> misbehaving.

Brian,

Does Terabyte Tech Supoort need to be alerted to this..??

Have you backed up to USB flash drives before..?

Michael
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Brian K » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:55 pm

Mykro wrote:

>
> Have you backed up to USB flash drives before..?
>

Sure. But I don't. I backup to HDs and SSDs, internal or USB external. They are fast and inexpensive.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Bob Coleman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 am

Mykro wrote:

> I did choose validate too...

Do you still have one of the DVDs? If you run a validate on it now, the validate claims to be successful?
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows