Need some help writing image to DVD drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:24 pm

Brian K wrote:
> Michael, no success yet but you are getting close. I suggest trying IFL GUI
> as it could work better with your optical drive. Maybe.

Brian,

Ok... I'll give it a try...

Thanks
Michael
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Brian K wrote:
> Michael, no success yet but you are getting close. I suggest trying IFL GUI
> as it could work better with your optical drive. Maybe.

Brian,

See attached image.. What option do you think I should choose...?

Thanks Michael
Attachments
IFLgui.jpg
IFLgui.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Brian K » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:48 pm

I choose the third option, Custom.

In further screens choose what you used in IFD. IFL is one of my favourite apps.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby TeraByte Support » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:01 pm

On newer systems you should be using IFL or IFW (and probably external
hard drive or BD) but for IFD see:

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=550



On 3/28/2020 8:40 AM, Mykro wrote:
> Brian K wrote:
>> Try this. Boot into IFD and then remove the boot disk as it's not needed
>> anymore. Now try the backup.
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> That worked... Except the next window that came up said that it was "Gathering Information" Which lasted for over 10 minutes, I thought the program had become unresponsive, but it wasn't... The next window asked me to insert a blank DVD for Vol. 1. The very next window (see attached image) did become unresponsive. I let it go for over an hour to see what would happened and there was no response from the program, so I removed the blank DVD and re-booted back into windows 10.
> I don't know what to do anymore, this shouldn't be so hard to do... It seems to me there needs to be more work done on the program.. For now I can't use this program.
>
> Michael
>
>

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2968
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Brian,

SUCCESS..!
It worked pretty slick... I wasn't expecting it to write on just one DVD..
I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 120GB with only a couple of extra apps loaded for a total of 29.3 GB used.
IFL condensed it down to 4.37GB. in my mind I was expecting at least 3 DVD's to be used up not 1 DVD...
I'm happy..!

In the past , I use to re-format the hard drive once a year and load Windows from scratch just to have a fresh install .. this makes it easy..

Should I test it out and restore to see if it works.? Or just wait until I really need to restore..?

I'm stumped to know why IFL worked and IFD did not..?

Thanks
Michael
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Bob Coleman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:54 pm

I guess I'm late here and probably wasted a lot of time this afternoon, but I came to say:

It's been a long time since I used either IFD or DVDs, but I tried what was initially described here and, to my surprise, got the same result (a hang). I tried the same thing with IFL and it worked fine.

My personal opinion is when creating boot media do NOT choose simple operations.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Bob Coleman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:12 pm

Mykro wrote:

> Should I test it out and restore to see if it works.? Or just wait until I
> really need to restore..?

That's been debated at some length in other threads. I don't know if there is a good answer.

It's frightening to do a test restore on to a working system in case it doesn't work, but how do you know it will work in the future if you don't test it?

I guess you just have to decide which is a bigger risk in your mind. I think most of us who are regular users of these programs have a high degree of confidence that restores will be successful, but still there's the nagging thought "How do I really know if I don't try it".
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Bob Coleman wrote:
> Mykro wrote:
>
> > Should I test it out and restore to see if it works.? Or just wait until I
> > really need to restore..?
>
> That's been debated at some length in other threads. I don't know if there is a good
> answer.
>
> It's frightening to do a test restore on to a working system in case it doesn't work,
> but how do you know it will work in the future if you don't test it?
>
> I guess you just have to decide which is a bigger risk in your mind. I think most of
> us who are regular users of these programs have a high degree of confidence that
> restores will be successful, but still there's the nagging thought "How do I
> really know if I don't try it".

Given the fact I just went through re-formatting and re-installing windows and all the drivers.. Browser, Bookmarks, Tweaking windows to how I like it etc.. etc..
If down the road I need to restore my computer and the disk does not work, I'll deal with it then... I'll have no choice... :D

Michael
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Brian K » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:37 pm

Michael.

You mentioned previously writing an image to a hard drive. What was the size of that image? DVD size?
Brian K
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Need some help writing image to DVD drive

Postby Mykro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:38 pm

Brian K wrote:
> Michael.
>
> You mentioned previously writing an image to a hard drive. What was the
> size of that image? DVD size?

That Image you are talking about I had already deleted from the hard drive... I don't know the size..

The image IFL wrote to the DVD was 4.37GB out of used space of 29.3GB on the Samsung SSD..

Brian,
Thank you for all your help and insight.. I wouldn't have figuered it out without your help.. :D Thank You...

Michael
Mykro
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows

cron