IFW behavior for a drive mounted as a folder

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
CraigS

IFW behavior for a drive mounted as a folder

Post by CraigS »

On my W10 machine has two SSD's, a C: drive and a second SSD mounted as a folder (c:\Video) on my main C: drive.

What does IFW do when making a full backup of my C drive when it runs across the Video folder that
represents the mount point of my second SSD?

Do I need to un-mount it first?
Does it try and add the contents of the second SSD to the image?
Does it preserve the mount point folder C:\Video and restore the folder if the C drive is reloaded from the backup image?

Why it matters: C drive stuff changes frequently so I like to do full images for disaster recovery. Video files don't change
so I would like to do a separate differential backup on the SSD containing the videos less frequently. Yes the Second SSD could just be just another letter
drive but I have scripts that expect the the data to be located in the C:\Video folder.

Thanks Craig
TeraByte Support

Re: IFW behavior for a drive mounted as a folder

Post by TeraByte Support »

It's not file based, it's only going to backup the data on the hard
drive. The junction point would be restored since it's part of the file
system data.

On 2/11/2020 7:26 PM, CraigS wrote:
> On my W10 machine has two SSD's, a C: drive and a second SSD mounted as a folder (c:\Video) on my main C: drive.
>
> What does IFW do when making a full backup of my C drive when it runs across the Video folder that
> represents the mount point of my second SSD?
>
> Do I need to un-mount it first?
> Does it try and add the contents of the second SSD to the image?
> Does it preserve the mount point folder C:\Video and restore the folder if the C drive is reloaded from the backup image?
>
> Why it matters: C drive stuff changes frequently so I like to do full images for disaster recovery. Video files don't change
> so I would like to do a separate differential backup on the SSD containing the videos less frequently. Yes the Second SSD could just be just another letter
> drive but I have scripts that expect the the data to be located in the C:\Video folder.
>
> Thanks Craig
>
>