Upgrade suggestion.

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tas3086

Upgrade suggestion.

Post by tas3086 »

I have an automated process that handles many partition backups, but sometimes this image shows up? How can I tell what drive/partition is being waited on?
A simple message in the text could simply show what the command line was being executed, drive or partition,

[attachment=0]What Drive.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
What Drive?
What Drive?
What Drive.jpg (65.08 KiB) Viewed 7297 times
TeraByte Support

Re: Upgrade suggestion.

Post by TeraByte Support »

It's the source physical drive (the one phylock will be protecting).
You can use diskmon to see the writes. Trying to find the process doing
it isn't as easy, proc explorer may reveal something.

On 12/27/2019 11:18 AM, tas3086 wrote:
> I have an automated process that handles many partition backups, but sometimes this image shows up? How can I tell what drive/partition is being waited on?
> A simple message in the text could simply show what the command line was being executed, drive or partition,
>
>
What Drive.jpg
>
>

tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I should have also stated that I have 8 or more physical disks attached, all with multiple partitions. How do I tell what disk is the cause? You know the command that is being run, can't you tell me in the screen that is being shown?
TeraByte Support

It's within the drive area you choose to backup (the area that will be
protected by phylock).

On 1/10/2020 9:49 AM, tas3086 wrote:
> I should have also stated that I have 8 or more physical disks attached, all with multiple partitions. How do I tell what disk is the cause? You know the command that is being run, can't you tell me in the screen that is being shown?
>
>

Brian K

Post by Brian K »

tas3086 wrote:
"How do I tell what disk is the cause?

tas3086,

Does ifw.log show it is the same problem partition every time?
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

My incremental and full Backups are automated by conditions of use and time. For all practical purposes it is random. So I do not know what is being done, when the error occurs, what disk or partition is being backed up.

Does it happen to the same partition every time? NO, this happens about 2 or 3 times a year, and it is a pain to go through the collection of logs to try and see what the offender is. I can see it hung on the display when it happens hours after it hung, but the display says nothing about what was hung. It's just a pain, and a simple oneliner on the screen would solve it. After all, once PHYLOC completes, the next screen has the info on what is being done. Just give me that info on a previous screen.

Or, better yet, if it hangs for 60-360 minutes, (beyond the max wait time) abort the process and give me a return/error code such that I can automate a recovery process.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I understand your frustration.

I changed from using PHYLock to VSS a few years ago as a PHYLock backup took 3 times longer than a VSS backup on my test computer. PHYLock wasn't slow on my other computers but I warmed to VSS and I no longer use PHYLock.
TeraByte Support

If it's not continuing beyond the max wait time, something else is
happening. What does the log say is the max wait time (you can set
/logl:9 to get more details.).

>
> Or, better yet, if it hangs for 60-360 minutes, (beyond the max wait time) abort the process and give me a return/error code such that I can automate a recovery process.
>

tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

From the first post above, the imagew64 had been running for @5.01 minutes. In reality the function was cancelled @9 hours later in a hung state. The log was not captured. I'll get that the next time it occurs. I will also set the logl:9.
THanks