Harddisk head movements

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
AGH1965

Harddisk head movements

Post by AGH1965 »

When using Image for UEFI for making a backup from a M.2 NVMe SSD to a brand new and therefore empty harddisk, I noticed that the harddisk constantly made very rapid head movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Image for UEFI constantly opens and closes the image file when appending it. If that is the case, why not keep the file open until the end? That would be faster and also much healthier for the harddisk.
TeraByte Support

Re: Harddisk head movements

Post by TeraByte Support »

No, it doesn't open / close.

On 12/14/2019 1:28 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> When using Image for UEFI for making a backup from a M.2 NVMe SSD to a brand new and therefore empty harddisk, I noticed that the harddisk constantly made very rapid head movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Image for UEFI constantly opens and closes the image file when appending it. If that is the case, why not keep the file open until the end? That would be faster and also much healthier for the harddisk.
>
>

AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> No, it doesn't open / close.

OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read. The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to the disk?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

filesystem metadata for one.

On 12/14/2019 8:37 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> TeraByte Support wrote:
>> No, it doesn't open / close.
>
> OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read. The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to the disk?
>
>

sherylbrock

Post by sherylbrock »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> filesystem metadata for one.
>
> On 12/14/2019 8:37 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> > TeraByte Support wrote:
> >> No, it doesn't open / close.
> >
> > OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these
> rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read.
> The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once
> per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to
> the disk?
> >
> >

How are data written to disk to reduce head movement?
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

What brand is your new hard drive? Is that the same brand/model as your other HDDs?

HGST (formerly Hitachi, now owned by Western Digital) are notoriously noisy (noise from movement of the heads is quite noticeable), but very reliable. I've been buying them for many years, but never paid attention to the noise until I added one to a HDD dock in my bedroom. The noise is acceptable, but until you realize it's normal, it's somewhat disconcerting.