Harddisk head movements

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Harddisk head movements

Postby AGH1965 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 am

When using Image for UEFI for making a backup from a M.2 NVMe SSD to a brand new and therefore empty harddisk, I noticed that the harddisk constantly made very rapid head movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Image for UEFI constantly opens and closes the image file when appending it. If that is the case, why not keep the file open until the end? That would be faster and also much healthier for the harddisk.
AGH1965

Re: Harddisk head movements

Postby TeraByte Support » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:10 am

No, it doesn't open / close.

On 12/14/2019 1:28 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> When using Image for UEFI for making a backup from a M.2 NVMe SSD to a brand new and therefore empty harddisk, I noticed that the harddisk constantly made very rapid head movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Image for UEFI constantly opens and closes the image file when appending it. If that is the case, why not keep the file open until the end? That would be faster and also much healthier for the harddisk.
>
>

TeraByte Support

Postby AGH1965 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:37 am

TeraByte Support wrote:
> No, it doesn't open / close.

OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read. The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to the disk?
AGH1965

Postby TeraByte Support » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:18 am

filesystem metadata for one.

On 12/14/2019 8:37 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> TeraByte Support wrote:
>> No, it doesn't open / close.
>
> OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read. The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to the disk?
>
>

TeraByte Support

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows