IFD (BIBM) virtual restore question

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
johnstrasser

IFD (BIBM) virtual restore question

Post by johnstrasser »

Hi Folks,

In my ongoing quest to convert my existing Win 7/XP installs into virtual machines under linux I'm running into some issues.

Even though I've got IFW working great on my Win 7 machine (haven't really played with IFL yet - this weekend) generally I use the IFD install included with BIBM (pfft - who needs grub anyway...)

After doing some playing with virtual machines (and after talking with people here) I've settled on the kvm/qemu system for managing my virtual machines. Thus I'll be using IFD/IFW/IFL to first go to a raw format virtual drive and then convert it to qcow2

Now the questions:

1) The version of IFD included in BIBM apparently won't see any drives or partitions other than "C" when I go to restore the tbi file to a virtual drive file. Is this normal (meaning I should just use IFW or IFL for the restore to a RAW file)? It sees everything and works fine when I do a "normal" restore to a partition.

2) Since I'm obviously going to have to run some scripts on the new vm, do I need to be sure I have BIBM inside the VM?

3) Image apparently used the file extension to determine the file type. I'm assuming qemu-image doesn't care.

Thanks (as always) for the help.

JS