Disable/Uninstall TBINotify

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
rustleg

Disable/Uninstall TBINotify

Post by rustleg »

I don't want these notices, they keep cropping up in Windows notifications. Is there a way to disable or uninstall TBINotify?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Disable/Uninstall TBINotify

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can right-click on the TBI Notify tray icon, select Settings, and then disable notifications or set manual startup.
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

Would have been the first thing to look at. Not sure how I missed it. Thanks.
Montclair

Post by Montclair »

How do we actually uninstall this? I installed it during my first installation, then upgraded and de-selected it, and was told that de-selecting wouldn't actually uninstall it. It's not listed as an application in control panel, and selecting the full suite prompts me if I want to uninstall the whole thing.

How do we just uninstall TBINotify?
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

The TBINotify program file is only about 400K, so "officially" uninstalling it (if that's even possible, and I don't know how to do it) would save a trivial amount of space, and you might want to use it at some point in the future. However, there are several ways you can stop it from automatically loading when you logon (though it only uses about 6K of RAM, so even if it's running, it's not significantly impacting on the performance of your computer):

1) The next time you update Image for Windows, make sure the "Start TBI Notify Automatically" option is unchecked.

2) Similar to what Paul Purviance said in the 2nd post of this thread: If TBINotify is currently running, go to your system tray, and right-click the TBINotify icon (it looks like a monitor on a stand, where the monitor is facing to the right, and has a colored screen), you can then select the "Settings" option. From that menu, you can change the Startup choice to 'Manually'. The next time you logon, the program won't load. Only unchecking all the notifications (also suggested by Paul) would stop you from getting TBINotify messages, however the program would still load and be running (but not doing anything that useful).

3) The program tbinotify.exe is in your Image for Windows folder. You could either rename the program, move it into a subfolder or (not recommended) delete it. That way when you logon, Windows won't be able to find the program. You may get an error message at each logon (I haven't tried this option), but it won't harm anything.

4) If you're comfortable using a utility that shows you what files/programs load upon startup (AutoRuns by Microsoft is one such program), look for the TBINotify entry. Unless you've installed several major versions of Image for Windows, there should only be one entry (or only one entry that's enabled). Disable that entry (depending on the autoruns-type program you use, you probably just need to uncheck the checkbox next to that entry). The next time you log on, TBINotify won't be loaded into memory

You might also be able to edit the registry to functionally do the same as methods 2 or 4, but I never suggest registry editing to someone whose skills I don't know, since you can really screw up your system if you do it incorrectly.

Even using an autoruns program can potentially screw things up if you're not careful, so if you're not familiar with such a program, only change one thing at a time (and take notes on what you're changing), until you're sure what you did had no unforseen consequences. Most autoruns programs allow you to either disable or delete an entry. I ALWAYS disable an entry first. Then after awhile, if my system isn't acting weird, I may delete it (often I just leave it there, but disabled - you never know when you might want to re-enable it!).
Montclair

Post by Montclair »

Thanks for the detailed post! I do have 41 years of PC experience, so I've got no issue with deleting files and modifying the registry. I don't have the application enabled to startup anyway. I just wanted to know how to "officially" uninstall it, since the install application won't do it.
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

One thing you could try:
  1. See how many entries in your registry contain the string "tbinotify". On my system, with TBI Notify installed and running, the registry contains three such entries.
  2. Either reinstall the current version (or install the next version) using the "Custom Installation" setting. From that screen, make sure that "TBI Notify" option is unchecked.
  3. When you're done with the (re)installation, check to see if all the tbinotify registry entries are gone (ideally, they should be). Also (ideally) the file tbinotify.exe should be gone, but if the registry entries are gone, and you've already have TBI Notify's startup disabled, then just delete the file (nothing is still pointing to that file anyway).
If the registry entries aren't removed following the above steps, then the install routines should be fixed. However, I personally don't care if it is, since if the program is no longer running, it wouldn't be affecting my system (other than having three unnecessary registry entries - I'm sure I have a lot more of those from other vendors!).

Since I like having TBI Notify on my system, I'm not going to try this, but feel free to try it yourself (after all, you have 41 years of PC experience! :mrgreen: ).

I suspect that's about as "official" of an uninstall you're going to find.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

you uninstall the entire package the install without it.
Montclair

Post by Montclair »

Thanks.