IFL installed in Linux Mint - product key is not saved

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
brucebne

IFL installed in Linux Mint - product key is not saved

Post by brucebne »

I just installed the latest version of IFL (registered) into Linux Mint 19.1, following the instructions in the read me file of the download.

However every time I start the program in linux, using imagel, I am prompted again for the product key details.
How do I resolve this?
brucebne

Re: IFL installed in Linux Mint - product key is not saved

Post by brucebne »

OK, it seems to be resolved.
I ran ./setup again as root, and re-entered name and key.
I think these details didn't register properly because I left off the "(1)" from the product key name.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bruce, for what it's worth, when you install the next IFL version in Mint, just copy the non Custom ini files (IFL and BootIt) into the new IFL folder. There is no need to re-enter registration details.

Are you involved with Radiology?
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> Bruce, for what it's worth, when you install the next IFL version in Mint,
> just copy the non Custom ini files (IFL and BootIt) into the new IFL
> folder. There is no need to re-enter registration details.
>
> Are you involved with Radiology?

I am not getting the prompt for rego details anymore. I think I just didn't enter them correctly initially.

I recently bought the BIU and IFL package. I could have persisted using rEFInd and gparted....but I have more confidence in terabyte's images and partition copying operations, built over almost 15 years.

I work as a clinical physiotherapist, but have 3 degrees that extend my scope of practice.
I also have special interests in a couple of areas that require a deeper understanding/use of imaging.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Just so I have a record of it:

I bought licenses for 'Image for ....' and BIU/BIBM recently.
I had an older copy of BIBM which doesn't apply to my current computers which are all GPT SSDs.

I have grown accustomed to using rEFInd as a boot manager, and am still running that.
At some stage I'll install BIU to use as a boot manager and do backup/restore operations.

In the meantime, I have installed Image for Linux into the latest Linux Mint.

Below is the process I have to go to, to make a bootable copy of Linux Mint OS partition.

- Boot into a Linux partition that is not the one I want to copy. i.e. I have 3 partition spaces for Linux Mint OSs. So I can boot into 3, and choose to copy partition 2 into the space for partition 1.
- after opening IFL and choosing copy operation, I need to select the following options :
Change GUID
Assume Original HD
Change Volume SN
- I then complete the copy operation into space 1.
- Partition 1 is unlikely to be visible and mountable until a reboot...therefore, reboot into either partition 2 or 3.
- open file manager (nemo), go root and access the Mint install in partition 1 (may have to be mounted first).
- go into the /boot/ folder and open the file "refind_linux.conf"
- this will still have the UUID for the original partition (no.2). change this to the UUID for partition 1.

That's it. when I reboot, rEFInd will correctly boot into Linux 1, or 2, or 3 when selected.....and 1 will be an exact copy of 2.