Disk Copy - How to Increase Size of Only One Partition

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Muad'Dib

Disk Copy - How to Increase Size of Only One Partition

Post by Muad'Dib »

Under Windows 10, I have a boot drive which is a 256 GB SSD. I am going to replace it with a 1 TB SSD. I want to make a complete copy of the original disk as well as increase the space allocated just for Drive C (the other partitions are maintenance partitions and are fine at their current size). Is there a way within the copy procedure to increase the space allocated on the destination drive for C only (if so, how)? Or will I need increase drive C's size using a partition manager after the copy is complete?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Disk Copy - How to Increase Size of Only One Partition

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You may not need to do anything. By default the "Automatic Scaling Restrictions" option is enabled. This restricts scaling of partitions which are the smaller of 15GiB or 1/8 the drive size.

If you do need to change the minimum size to ignore you can use the "NoScale" INI option (or /nos, if using the command line).
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Is "Automatic Scaling Restrictions" enabled with Copy? In the manual I only see it as an option with Backup (from the interactive menu).
Last edited by Muad'Dib on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It works with Copy. Not sure what you mean as an option with Backup (the option controls scaling which is not used on backup operations). The option is in General Settings.
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Got it, thanks!

With regards to your comment "Not sure what you mean as an option with Backup":

I was looking in the manual under the major heading of "CREATING BACKUPS WITH IMAGE FOR WINDOWS" / "UNDERSTANDING OPTIONS" / "Setting Image for Windows Program Options"

In that section at the top of page 41 (in IFW Manual dated 2019-04-23) it discusses "Automatic Scaling Restrictions" - so at first glance, since it was in the "CREATING BACKUPS..." section, I thought this might have applied to Backups only (especially since scaling wasn't mentioned in the COPY section). Looking at the manual more carefully, I now see that this section was discussing GENERAL options, not just the BACKUP ones.

Thanks again Paul!