Windows Defender sees tbosdtw.exe as a trojan

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
muzztec

Windows Defender sees tbosdtw.exe as a trojan

Post by muzztec »

After upgrading to the latest version (1903) W10 64bit , with a clean install, I reinstalled IFW. When it came to creating a TBWIN RE recovery bootable usb, Windows Defender reported a severe trojan threat, and quarantined the file. Can someone please confirm that this was a false positive? I only downloaded the install file from this site a couple of days ago to get the latest version.
Attachments
Re tbosdtw.exe threat.png
Re tbosdtw.exe threat.png (18.53 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Windows Defender sees tbosdtw.exe as a trojan

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If you installed IFW, the TBOSDT .exe files would be located in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\TeraByte OSD Tool Suite Pro\win" folder (assuming default directory used). Not sure what the F:\tbosdtw.exe file is, but it's not part of the installation.
muzztec

Post by muzztec »

Thanks for the quick reply.

The F drive was the flash drive that I used for the rescue disk install. I tried creating another one and it wouldn't work because of the quarantine. I restored the quarantined item, risking it, and then created the bootable USB with no problem.

I don't know why the quarantined item was down as being on the F drive, because it certainly isn't on the F drive that I just used to create the bootable rescue.

the tbosdtw.exe is in amongst the files in the main Terabyte program directory, (C:\Program files (x86)/TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite/OSD Tool Suite Pro/Win)

According to the attached screen shot, they were both originally named tbosdt.exe. They're both digitally signed by Terabyte inc.

I've been using Terabyte for years, and have never had any malware warnings prior to this one. I'm assuming that it's something to do with my doing a clean install of the latest W10 update a couple of days ago.
Attachments
Re tbosdtw.exe threat 2.png
Re tbosdtw.exe threat 2.png (51.1 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

just check the digital signatures.

if good, send the specific .exe file to MS to fix their false positive
(tbosdt.exe is generic, may have been the tbosdt64.exe):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission

"muzztec" wrote in message news:17148@public.image...

After upgrading to the latest version (1903) W10 64bit , with a clean
install, I reinstalled IFW. When it came to creating a TBWIN RE recovery
bootable usb, Windows Defender reported a severe trojan threat, and
quarantined the file. Can someone please confirm that this was a false
positive? I only downloaded the install file from this site a couple of days
ago to get the latest version.