IFL unable to change default options

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
dnlathrop

IFL unable to change default options

Post by dnlathrop »

I installed IFL to a partition on my system disk and multi-boot it with my OS through BIU. All works OK except for one little nagging issue; I cannot retain changes to program "default" values.

Options such as validation, omitting paging information and logging are listed on the screen immediately before starting the backup. I typically want to do validation and do not want to log results. I check/uncheck accordingly and then press the "Save as Default" button. If I launch IFL again during the same boot session, those values are retained. When I terminate and reboot, the options are reinstated to what they were before I changed them.

Is there a way to modify these values so that they persist through a reboot and truly become my defaults? I searched the directories of the Linux file system with a hope I could find configuration files and edit them directly but I could not find them.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: IFL unable to change default options

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

When you're booted to IFL, the values are saved on the RAM disk so won't be retained on reboots.

What method did you use to create the IFL partition? Did you copy an IFL UFD? You should be able to create new boot media with the custom options (or custom INI file) and then copy the initrmfs.gz file to your partition. For example, copy out your customized ifl.ini file after you've set defaults how you want and place it into the folder with MakeDisk (where you create the IFL boot media). Then run MakeDisk, select Traditional (custom) and select to import the ifl.ini file.
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Thank you for the reply. I configured an ifl.ini file, made another bootable USB stick and tried it. One step forward and two steps backward.

I was able to set the backup options as I want but now when I boot IFL it prompts for my name and product key. That would be OK if it prompted once and saved the input but it does not.

I searched the IFL manual and found an example INI configuration with a [License] section and ProductKey= variable. I added the section and variable to the INI file and made another USB stick. I still get the prompt.

When there is no INI file the makedisk program prompts for licensed name and product key so I took a wild guess and added a LicensedName= variable to the section. That did nothing as far as I can tell.

Do you have a solution for this?

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> What method did you use to create the IFL partition? Did you copy an IFL
> UFD? You should be able to create new boot media with the custom options
> (or custom INI file) and then copy the initrmfs.gz file to your partition.
> For example, copy out your customized ifl.ini file after you've set
> defaults how you want and place it into the folder with MakeDisk (where you
> create the IFL boot media). Then run MakeDisk, select Traditional (custom)
> and select to import the ifl.ini file.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The imported INI file would need to have the license info in it:

[License]
User=username here
ProductKey=product key here
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Yes, what I was missing was the User= variable. I looked further in the booted Linux file system and found the ifl.ini file in the /tbu folder. A quick look there showed me what the default INI file had that I lacked in the custom INI file.

TBU documentation is generally very thorough. I think it is among the best that is offered by software publishers. In this particular area, however, it does not provide quite enough information as I think it should for a user to set up a custom INI file. The following tables are very extensive showing various options but the simple example does not include the User= variable.

FYI, there is a typo in the last URL shown in the quickstart.txt file in the makedisk directory.

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> The imported INI file would need to have the license info in it:
>
> [License]
> User=username here
> ProductKey=product key here
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

dnlathrop wrote:
> Yes, what I was missing was the User= variable.

dnlathrop,

Another method is to boot a working IFL, do a sham backup and Save Defaults. Do a sham restore and Save Defaults. Then use MC to copy ifl.ini to one of your mounted partitions. Now you have a good ifl.ini to make further UFDs and partitions on the HD.
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Great suggestion Brian. Thank you. I wanted to remove logging from the list of restore and copy options but decided it was not worth the trouble to discover what variables they are. Your suggestion will make that fairly simple.

Brian K wrote:
> dnlathrop wrote:
> > Yes, what I was missing was the User= variable.
>
> dnlathrop,
>
> Another method is to boot a working IFL, do a sham backup and Save Defaults. Do a
> sham restore and Save Defaults. Then use MC to copy ifl.ini to one of your mounted
> partitions. Now you have a good ifl.ini to make further UFDs and partitions on the
> HD.