Where are the license terms?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
rustleg

Where are the license terms?

Post by rustleg »

I have to say that although I'm a big fan of TB software - used it for years - I'm not a fan of the website. It's difficult to have a clear view of which products contain which components, how much they cost, how many computers you can use it on, personal/business.

But especially where are the actual license terms? I looked everywhere but couldn't find them. If (in desperation) you follow the links to buy the product hoping to see a license before committing you are out of luck. You are asked to complete the order without knowing the license you are buying. It says "ALL SALES FINAL - NO REFUNDS, USE THE FREE TRIAL VERSION BEFORE PURCHASING". If you download the trial version you get the trial version license which isn't the same.

I'm looking to buy IFL for a non-profit club I support. It's a UK limited company without shareholders which is set up this way because it legally protects the volunteers from being sued personally but none of us take any money. Does it have to follow the business terms whatever they are? There are 3 computers. I want to make a USB stick with IFL on to take images of all 3 so I could restore an OS if necessary. Do I have to buy 3 versions at $29.95 each?

I've got a license from previous personal purchases dated April 1 2011 (I hope it's not an April fool copy!) which mentions multiple copy license. On the web site it mentions something called "Image Deployment License" and there it also says "See the License Agreement included with those programs for more details." So where is this License Agreement? What does this allow you to do?

There's also this in the 2011 license: "If you are a real person, and if all Software under this license is used exclusively for personal non-commercial use only, then each licensed copy may be installed on two additional Computer Systems owned or controlled by you, or a member of your immediate family." I could argue that this is my position because the club is not a commercial business and I control the computers myself, do all the work personally and take no money for it. Should I therefore only need to buy one copy?

This license gives the impression it covers all TB's products - does it?

Maybe I've missed it but wouldn't it be sensible to have links on the website to downloads of all your licenses? Ideally with some plain English explanations of what each allows you to do.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Where are the license terms?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The license agreements are in the manuals (both trial and full-use). My understanding is that you would need a license for each system. However, you can always contact sales and verify what's required.
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

And here is a link to download the latest manual: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downl ... manual.pdf License terms for the purchased version start on page 246.

The good news is that since your original purchase, the number of computers allowed for a home user has increased to 5. If I remember correctly, this changed around the time of the v3 upgrade. The (probable) bad news is that my reading of the terms seems to indicate that even for a non-profit, you need to buy a license for each computer. But as Paul said, check with sales to be certain.

There are other backup programs that do allow free use of their limited version for home, non-profit and commercial use. They are not as comprehensive as Image, but for your club, they may be adequate. I really can't post any more information in this forum, since it wouldn't be fair to TBU to use their site to discuss a competitor.
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

Thanks for the useful info, Muad'Dib. Reading the licence in the manual I agree that I should buy 3 licences because we are a non-profit limited liability company which seems to be caught. Although I think the wording or para 1(c)(i) could be better written to avoid the word "commercial" since that implies commerce or trade.

I don't want to buy a cheaper package as I think TBU's product is excellent, so I'll ask for the money to buy 3. I wouldn't want to waste the club's resources but in the scheme of things it's not expensive.

Still I think it would be good if the website were to point out where the licence can be found. Or maybe it's obvious to other people?