Howto Restore ImageforWindows inside VirtualBox?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
amccombs

Re: Howto Restore ImageforWindows inside VirtualBox?

Post by amccombs »

Yes I have tried both copyp2v.tbs, and osdtool.tbs; and everything else too.

The only setting in VirtualBox that has any effect on booting is Enabled EFI (specialOSes only), which causes the ImageForWindows boot to freeze up at the Windows logo screen.
amccombs

Re: Howto Restore ImageforWindows inside VirtualBox?

Post by amccombs »

I found the solution.
My Lenovo laptop BIOS has RAID for the controller settings and not AHCI. Why would they send out configured with RAID with only 1 SDD?

Click the Start Button and type cmd
Right-click the cmd and select Run as administrator
Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup, (in Windows 10 that means the easiest way is via Update&Security, as the computer boots is too quickly these days to use the keyboard)
Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
Login to Windows
Click the Start Button and type cmd
Right-click the cmd and select Run as administrator
Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

I then performed another ImageForWindows backup

Then confirmed/changed VirtualBox > Display > Screen > Graphics Controller : VBoxVGA with Acceleration disabled for 3D and 2D

I then used the TeraByteRE.ISO in VirtualBox and performed the Restore
Then change VirtualBox > System > Motherboard > checked Enable EFI (special OSes only) (this needs to be disabled for TeraByteRE.ISO to boot for the Restore part)

After I started the VM, the system showed the Windows 10 circle thingy and rebooted many times, then eventually it showed the login screen properly

Note: There might have been a way to use the ImageForWindows and create scripts to change the registry settings to minimal, but that's above my pay grade.

Successful Restore on Windows 7 Pro x64 Host with VirtualBox 5.2.22
Successful Restore on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x64 Host with VirutalBox 6.0.4