How to delete a backup image

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
bdemchak

How to delete a backup image

Post by bdemchak »

Hi, all --

I have managed to fill up my backup media, and I need to delete older backup images. There doesn't seem to be anything in Image for Windows, TBI Notify, or any other utility I can find. (Maybe it's in TBIMount?? ... TBIMount crashes when trying to Browse.)

I have looked around in the manual, on this forum, and in the knowledge base but can't find out how to do this.

Any advice??

(I have disabled Simple Operations in IFW ... perhaps a bad idea ... I did that because I couldn't figure out how to backup partitions from two separate disk drives.)

Thanks!
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: How to delete a backup image

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can do that from IFW when browsing for images. For example, you can select the Validate option and browse to where the image (.tbi) files are saved that you want to delete. Then right-click on the image file and pick the "Delete" option. A confirmation box will show which files will be deleted if you continue.

Otherwise, the files are just normal files and can be deleted as such. You could delete them using Explorer, for example. If you create incremental or differential images keep in mind that deleting an image in the chain will render any backups that depend on it useless (the Consolidate feature may be a better option).
Brenno

Post by Brenno »

there is no delete option by right clicking the file at the validate program an Windows asks for administrator rights (i am owner and administrator. )
impossible to delete the file.
Logman

Post by Logman »

I delete images all the time using file explorer, no need to use IFW for that.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Logman, I guess you aren't using protectit. When using protectit you have to stop the service prior to deleting the .tbi in file explorer. Or delete the file from IFW.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Brenno wrote:
> there is no delete option by right clicking the file at the validate

If you're using Simple Operations mode you will need to enable the "Allow file deletion on Restore & Validate file list" option. It's in Settings, General tab, Simple Operations section.