Will this work on XP SP2?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Will this work on XP SP2?

Postby Szumi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:27 pm

I have a machine at work that we need to back up. It is XP SP2, it is running stuff that we don't want to take a chance on breaking by making it SP3 which we could then use another product we have licensed to back up.

Thank you,

Szumi
Szumi
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Re: Will this work on XP SP2?

Postby DrTeeth » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:11 pm

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:27:17 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Szumi disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I have a machine at work that we need to back up. It is XP SP2, it is running stuff that we don't want to take a chance on breaking by making it SP3 which we could then use another product we have licensed to back up.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Szumi

The TBU site lists XP as being supported. So you can install IfW and
backup that way. Alternatively, you could boot the computer into Image
for DOS (IfD) or Image for Linux (IfL) and backup that way. Many find
IfL faster than IfD, and that is the case here.

When backing up with IfD or IfL, it does not make any difference what
file system is on the computer as these programs will backup anything
and everything on the disk.

You have definitely made the right choice in using these programs.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"The best argument against democracy
is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Will this work on XP SP2?

Postby Bob Coleman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:02 pm

DrTeeth wrote:

> When backing up with IfD or IfL, it does not make any difference what
> file system is on the computer as these programs will backup anything
> and everything on the disk.
>
Is this true. I thought they had the same file system awareness as IFW. They all have options to not back up the page file and hibernation file which I would think requires some file system awareness.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Will this work on XP SP2?

Postby DrTeeth » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:05 pm

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:02:59 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Is this true. I thought they had the same file system awareness as IFW. They all have options to not back up the page file and hibernation file which I would think requires some file system awareness.

I was keeping it simple for the OP.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"The best argument against democracy
is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am


Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows