IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby jack450 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I just updated IFL to version 3.24. When I booted the disk, the menu and text was so small that I could barely read it. I'm using the CUI version. I'm sure there is a fix for this and would appreciate someone sharing the "secret". Previously I was using Version 3.22 and this was not an issue. I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks,
Jack Greenberg
jack450
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:01 am

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby mjnelson99 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Is there a setting by right clicking? I do know I found a DOS bos helped
me ing the past. Do not remember the process, though.
Mary

On 10/26/2018 5:40 PM, jack450 wrote:
> I just updated IFL to version 3.24. When I booted the disk, the menu and text was so small that I could barely read it. I'm using the CUI version. I'm sure there is a fix for this and would appreciate someone sharing the "secret". Previously I was using Version 3.22 and this was not an issue. I'm running Windows 10 Pro.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Greenberg
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:15 am

What system is being booted? I assume a 4K screen.

You could try booting IFL CUI in Legacy (non-UEFI) mode or using IFL GUI.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby jack450 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:42 am

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> What system is being booted? I assume a 4K screen.
>
> You could try booting IFL CUI in Legacy (non-UEFI) mode or using IFL GUI.

I'm not sure what you mean by "system" being booted. The screen is set to 1920x1080. As I mentioned, this issue didn't happen with v.3.22. The only difference when booting the two versions (v3.22 and v3.24) is that I had to disable Secure Boot when booting v3.22 and that was not necessary with v3.24.

I would rather not have to set the BIOS to Legacy and I don't understand why the GUI version could solve the issue unless there is a setting available in that version that is not available in the CUI version.

Could there be a setting that I overlooked when using MAKEDISK to create the boot disk? I just have a feeling that there is a simple fix for this.

Jack Greenberg
jack450
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:01 am

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby jack450 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:49 am

mjnelson99 wrote:
> Is there a setting by right clicking? I do know I found a DOS bos helped
> me ing the past. Do not remember the process, though.
> Mary
>

I think I tried that, but I don't really remember. I'll try it the next time I boot the disk unless someone posts the definitive answer.

Jack Greenberg
jack450
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:01 am

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 am

There can be video differences between when Secure Boot is enabled and when it's disabled. It's possible that is what you're seeing.

Trying CUI in Legacy mode is just to see if that works, as is trying the GUI version -- troubleshooting steps. There have been changes to the scaling and how things are displayed in the last several GUI versions.

By "system" being booted I meant the details/specifications of the system. Usually the small text issue is related to a high dpi screen being used. The normal resolution you're using in Windows doesn't mean anything when booted to something else.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby jack450 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:43 pm

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> There can be video differences between when Secure Boot is enabled and when
> it's disabled. It's possible that is what you're seeing.

I can disable Secure Boot next time I boot the disk and see if it makes a difference.

> Trying CUI in Legacy mode is just to see if that works, as is trying the
> GUI version -- troubleshooting steps. There have been changes to the
> scaling and how things are displayed in the last several GUI versions.

I try to avoid changing BIOS settings just to perform a certain task because I'm afraid I'll forget to change it back when I'm finished. I really like the CUI version and have been using it for so long (before there was a GUI version) that I hate to change, but I can try the GUI version.

> ... Usually the small text issue is related to a high dpi screen
> being used. The normal resolution you're using in Windows doesn't mean
> anything when booted to something else.

I thought about this, but considered that it shouldn't matter with a boot into a system other than Windows, and you seem to be confirming that with your last sentence.

While I have all of your programs, the only one I use and the only one with which I am familiar is Image For Linux. I read a lot of posts about using scripts, and I wonder if text size can be set with scripts? If so, where would I find information about it?

Thanks,
Jack Greenberg
jack450
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:01 am

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:10 pm

The resolution used in Windows wouldn't matter. What matters is the resolution supported by the system. For example, you could use 1920x1080 in Windows, but the supports 1440 or 4K, which might be used by IFL.

You wouldn't be able to change the text size using a script. It may help if you create a report in IFL and send it to support.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby TeraByte Support » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:40 pm

There has been at least one other report here that booting without secure
boot resulted in a resolution more like legacy systems (80x25 or 80x43).
When booting in secure boot mode, it used the high dpi mode (hard to see on
normal screens).

So if you want to use CUI and be able to see it, disable secure boot.
Otherwise you can leave secure boot enabled and use the GUI version.

There may be some setting on your BIOS to control the resolution when
booting, but you'd need to contact the system/BIOS maker.

"jack450" wrote in message news:15938@public.image...

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: IFL Update Resulted In Small Size Menu/Text

Postby jack450 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:32 pm

TeraByte Support wrote:
> There has been at least one other report here that booting without secure
> boot resulted in a resolution more like legacy systems (80x25 or 80x43).
> When booting in secure boot mode, it used the high dpi mode (hard to see on
>
> normal screens).
>
> So if you want to use CUI and be able to see it, disable secure boot.
> Otherwise you can leave secure boot enabled and use the GUI version.
>
> There may be some setting on your BIOS to control the resolution when
> booting, but you'd need to contact the system/BIOS maker.
>

Thanks for that information.
Jack Greenberg
jack450
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:01 am


Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows