IFW log: Files excluded from backup

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tooney

IFW log: Files excluded from backup

Post by tooney »

I have been using IFW to do full image backups of Windows 10 and Windows 7 systems. I am pretty much using the standard option defaults for IFW. The backups use VSS. I just noticed that the IFW log files list a lot of files not backed up. They are excluded due to registry entries in FilesNotToBackup and FilesNotToSnapshot. I have never knowingly made changes to these registry entries and have not used any other backup software that might have changed them.

Assuming that the registry entries are from Microsoft or OEM, am I safe to assume that the files not being backed up are not really needed? None of them look like any of my application data. My main concern here is excluding files that might foul up restoring Windows itself, not losing user data.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: IFW log: Files excluded from backup

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Those are normal exclusions when VSS is used and don't cause issues when restoring Windows. There are options in IFW settings to control whether or not those are excluded by IFW (they are by default). Using PHYLock is another option if you don't want any VSS exclusions.
tooney

Re: IFW log: Files excluded from backup

Post by tooney »

Thanks for your reply.