Create bootable USB restore drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Create bootable USB restore drive

Postby echan101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 pm

I've looked through the FAQs and knowledge base, and it seems like there's no automagic way to create a bootable USB drive with a restore image on it. Is this possible while doing a backup?

Basically instead of creating a bootable restore DVD, can you create a bootable USB drive through normal menu options?
echan101

Re: Create bootable USB restore drive

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:59 pm

There's no automated way to do that. You would need to make the USB drive bootable to whichever boot media you use (e.g. TBWinRE, IFL GUI, etc.) and then save the images to it normally. Keep in mind that if you use MakeDisk on the USB drive that the contents would be lost -- generally better to set it up when empty or do it manually.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Create bootable USB restore drive

Postby tas3086 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 am

Paul, A long time ago I installed BIBM on a USB drive. I think that you can do it today, and If so, you could boot from it. then:
Run Maintenance mode partition work to create a data partition to store restore data. Then run Image under BIBM maintenance mode to do a backup of the real OS to the USB drive. It would be extremely slow. Or better, copy an existing backup to the USB Data partition. You would just have to do this part of the process once.

Updating BIBM and Image to the latest level would not destroy the data partition. The only time you would need to boot the USB drive would be to either update BIBM and Image, or to do a restore in maintenance mode.

Might be a semi automated way of doing it easily, with just using Terabyte products. And, If all goes well, it should be bootable under Legacy(BIBM) or UEFI(BIU) BIOS's. Scripting would also be available to do additional automation.
tas3086

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows