How to use ProtectIt?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
chileverde

Re: How to use ProtectIt?

Post by chileverde »

Hi Viktor,

Yes, the folder name matters. If you search for "ProtectIt" in the User Manual, you'll find this on p. 21 of the current version (giving information about various installation options):

ProtectIt: Installs a driver to protect the contents of the TeraByte_TBI_Backups
folders from being modified by other Windows applications. Protection only
applies to running Windows installations and not other Windows installations
without the driver installed.

I take this to mean that it only works for folders named "TeraByte_TBI_Backups".

I don't know if it works if you change an existing folder's name to TeraByte_TBI_Backups. I created a new folder, and as I described, I moved old backups into the new folder, and they were protected.

You can check if protection works by trying to move a file out of the TeraByte_TBI_Backups folder. First I get a message that says I must be an administrator. I click on something, I think Continue, and the next message refers to Administrators (plural). I then click on whatever it is, can't remember, perhaps Try Again or Continue, and I keep getting the same message. In other words, I am unable to move the file out of the TeraByte_TBI_Backups, which tells me protection is working.

I have no idea about file systems. I've just started using it myself. This is about all I know about it.
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

I have been using IFW with ProtectIt since my posts above almost 3 years ago. As far as I know, it has been working fine.

But now I need to change the name of one of my backup files. Is there any way to do that? If not, please consider this a feature request.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

chileverde,

You can disable ProtectIt (from an Admin Command Prompt)...

net stop protectit

Do your edits and re-enable with...

net start protectit
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

Thanks so much, Brian.

Made the changes I needed to. Can't believe the solution was so easy!