Suggestion: Add leading zeroes to extension numbering

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Muad'Dib

Re: Suggestion: Add leading zeroes to extension numbering

Post by Muad'Dib »

Brian K wrote: "Why change something that is working well?"

Because it's no longer "working well". As I said in my opening post, file size limits of cloud storage have changed the game. I recently backed up a nearly full 2TB drive to more than 125 separate files, because the cloud service I'm using has a size limit of 15GB per file. Without leading zeroes, sorting by file name doesn't sort them properly (see my OP for examples), and some cloud services don't retain original timestamps of files (or their display options don't allow sorting by timestamp), so trying to ensure that you have ALL the files in a backup set, without the ability to sort them properly is difficult (and unnecessarily so).

Using leading zeroes in an extension name was a good idea back in the day when low capacity backup media required dozens (if not hundreds) of separate files to be created. It has again become a good idea because of cloud imposed limits.

TeraByte Support wrote: "... I guess the option can be made available with the caveat that it may be incompatible with prior versions".

Thanks for reconsidering the issue. I look forward to the update! As far as incompatibility with prior versions: Can you add a backward compatibility option as has been done with previous updates?
Muad'Dib

Re: Suggestion: Add leading zeroes to extension numbering

Post by Muad'Dib »

I see that you have (re)enabled the leading zeroes in v3.29. Thank you very much! I haven't installed it yet, but I plan to do so soon, and will let you know my experiences.

Thanks again!