TBIMount does not allow access to all folders

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
chileverde

TBIMount does not allow access to all folders

Post by chileverde »

When I mount my OS drive (C:) from a backup, I can access most files and folders. However, when I tried to open the folder Z:\Users\<My Name> (it mounted the BU of C: as Z:), I first got a message that I needed to click on Continue to gain access, but after I clicked, I got a new message that I had been denied access and needed to use the Security Tab. What changes do I need to make there to access the folder?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: TBIMount does not allow access to all folders

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Is the image being mounted on a different system? You would need to mount the image with write simulation enabled and then you could take ownership and change permissions. Run TBIMount and enable the "Enable Simulated Writes" option before mounting.

Depending on what you're trying to get out of the image, it may be quicker/easier to use TBIView or an administrator command prompt.
chileverde

Re: TBIMount does not allow access to all folders

Post by chileverde »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Is the image being mounted on a different system?

Yes, I'm getting ready to return my old laptop to Dell as part of a warranty exchange. I doubt there will be anything from the old system's C: drive that I will want to access, but I'd like to think that I can do that from a BU if I need to. I had first mounted the drive (in my replacement computer) in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the image file, and then clicking on Mount as Drive Letter. Doing it that way does not give me a chance to check Enable Simulated Writes.

I ran TBIMount directly, checked that box, and mounted the image. This time, after I clicked Continue to gain access to the folder in question, I could access it (after a short delay).

I tried TBIView and found I could also access the restricted folder that way and copy a PDF file to a new location and open it.

Just for fun, I used TBIMount to mount a drive from another BU and play a .wma file directly from TBIMount. It sounded great! The only file I have not been able to either open or copy from TBIMount was a 30-GB .pgd file, i.e., a file that stored a PGP-encrypted archive that could be mounted as a virtual drive. However, since I have switched from using Symantec Encryption to BitLocker, that will not be an issue for me. Thank you.