IFW 3.18 weird files created alongside .TBI

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Fabvit

IFW 3.18 weird files created alongside .TBI

Post by Fabvit »

IFW 3.18

Today I made the first backup with IFW 3.18 and noticed that alongside the expected .TBI file I have other two files with the very same base filename as the .TBI one but with the following extensions: .#_# and .#0

Here is an example of the files created by a backup job in IFW 3.18:

Backup-PC-FABIO-SYSTEM-2018-05-07-1248.#_#
Backup-PC-FABIO-SYSTEM-2018-05-07-1248.#0
Backup-PC-FABIO-SYSTEM-2018-05-07-1248.TBI

Never happened in previus versions (until yesterday I used IFW 3.17)

What are these files? Can be safely removed?
Muad'Dib

Re: IFW 3.18 weird files created alongside .TBI

Post by Muad'Dib »

I'm still running v3.17, but I looked in the April 10th documentation (page 54) and found the following:

"Create Sector Hash Files – Select this option to have Image for Windows create a
hash file to speed up creating a Changes Only (differential or incremental) backup.
This option is only available when creating an image that is not being saved to disc
media (CD/DVD/BD). By default, this option is also ignored if the Backwards
Compatible option is enabled. The hash file will be limited to the max file size and
have the same file name as the backup with an extension starting at .#0 followed by
.#1, .#2, etc. as needed. The actual speed increase realized when creating an
image will vary depending on the system. If the hash file is deleted the backup will
proceed as normal without it. To create a hash for an existing image use the /hash
operation command line parameter.
Note: This option will also create a special-use file with the .#_# extension. When
using the command line, this file can be used in place of the .TBI base image,
which may be located elsewhere (e.g. ftp, offsite), along with the hash file to create
a changes-only backup."

Either the default settings for v3.18 have changed, or you accidentally turned on the "Create Sector Hash Files" option.

UPDATE: Apparently it IS the result of the new default setting: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=4&t=2783
Fabvit

Re: IFW 3.18 weird files created alongside .TBI

Post by Fabvit »

Thank you so much Muad'Dib for pointing me to the documentation: now I have disabled it (/hash:0) since I only perform full backups