Bitlocker and auto-unlock

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

Bitlocker and auto-unlock

Postby crawfish » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:33 pm

I just read the KB article on Bitlocker, and I believe it says you can restore a "Type A" (unencrypted) system image to the same drive such that it will be re-encrypted during the restore, provided you unlock the system partition in TBWinRE before restoring. Is this correct? If so, that's great, because I've not been doing that, and I've had to re-encrypt after the restore inside Windows. What I'm also wondering is the effect it has on auto-unlock, which gets messed when one re-encrypts as described here, along with a cumbersome fix:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2010/08/re- ... e-restore/

Is this problem avoided by unlocking the system partition in TBWinRE before restoring? Would my auto-unlock partitions work normally when I reboot after the restore?
crawfish

Re: Bitlocker and auto-unlock

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:11 am

That's correct. In my tests with auto-unlock it still worked after restoring. However, if the restore isn't successful for some reason then you'd have to revert to what you've been doing (re-encrypt afterwards, etc.). In some cases, it may also help to use the "Write Changed Sectors Only" option when restoring to the unlocked partition.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Bitlocker and auto-unlock

Postby crawfish » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:29 am

That's awesome! It never occurred to me to unlock the system partition in TBWinRE before restoring.
crawfish

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows