Unable to locate WinRE

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Bob Coleman

Unable to locate WinRE

Post by Bob Coleman »

Trying to create TBWinRE boot media I get the error "Unable to locate WinRE". Does this indicate something wrong with the Windows 10 system being used?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Unable to locate WinRE

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Does WinRE work on the system? You can run "reagentc /info" from an administrator command prompt to check the status Windows shows for WinRE. As for the issue, WinRE may be broken, not configured, or not being seen correctly by TBWinPE/RE Builder. What does the log (TBWinPE.log) show?

Some troubleshooting steps are in the following KB article:
Repairing the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=587
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Output from ""reagentc /info":

Information:

Windows RE status: Disabled
Windows RE location:
Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: a41467b2-18c5-11e7-a581-ffed5153751b
Recovery image location:
Recovery image index: 0
Custom image location:
Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

so probably the rest of the questions are irrelevant, but relevant information from the log is

2017-05-09 10:39:00 - Locating WinRE image
2017-05-09 10:39:00 - Warning: Unable to locate WinRE at installed location (Path: unknown\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim)
2017-05-09 10:39:01 - Warning: Unable to locate WinRE at default locations
2017-05-09 10:39:01 - Warning: Backup copy of winre.wim not found
2017-05-09 10:39:01 - Error: Unable to locate WinRE

Obviously there is something wrong with my system. So far I haven't been able to find a winre.wim using http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=587.

I may come back to this later.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I finally found a WinRE.wim on HP Recovery Media I had made from the system and using it successfully created the TBWinRE disc.

I still don't know whether my problem is due to my having deleted some recovery partitions I thought I didn't need (though restoring them didn't help).
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

It does now appear that all my problems here were due to having deleted "unnecessary" OEM partitions.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Just a warning on imaging Win 10.
I image 4 files, 3 very small to even empty and Win 10 itself.
Do I need all 4? I don't know. It is belt & suspenders for me.
Mary

On 5/10/2017 4:12 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> It does now appear that all my problems here were due to having deleted "unnecessary" OEM partitions.
>
>
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

Duplicate submitted in error
Last edited by chileverde on Thu May 03, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chileverde

Post by chileverde »

I am a new user. I had no problem creating IFW boot media on a USB flash drive on my Win 7 laptop, but when I tried on a Win 10 laptop, I got the message "unable to locate WinRE image at installed location".

The "thermometer" for this part of the process was yellow instead of green. However, since Next was not grayed out, I clicked Next, proceeded to subsequent screens, and was able to create working boot media. Should I assume everything is O.K. and forget about the error message?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The boot media you created is fine. It would just be based on whatever version the backup WinRE was (the log would show this info).

If the backup of the winre.wim file exists (e.g. from a previous build or copied manually), then Builder will be able to proceed with making the boot media. Options that require an intact/working WinRE would be disabled (e.g. updating the installed WinRE).

For the WinRE issue, it may be helpful to look at the KB article that deals with fixing it:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=587