IFD IFL SSDs and HD Images

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Radish

IFD IFL SSDs and HD Images

Post by Radish »

OS = Windows 7 Pro. x64 SP1
IFL 3.06

I intend getting an SSD and have never used one before so I'm pretty well ignorant of how to manage one using IFL (which I prefer to use even though I'm using a Windows OS). I'd like to ask for advice on how to manage the following scenarios when using IFL and imaging/restoring to SSDs and HDs:

(1) Restoring an Image made of a HD to an SSD with the SSD Partitions Already Predefined by Win 7
=====================================================================================
In this scenario I will have the SSD partitions pre-partitioned via Windows 7. My understanding is that Win 7 will automatically align the partitions correctly for the SSD. So, when I restore the SSD using an image created from a HD, is there any setting I need to make in IFL that tells it to align the partition correctly for an SSD when it is doing the restore operation?

(2) Restoring an Image Made of a HD to an SSD when the Partitions are not Predefined
===========================================================================
In this scenario I want to restore an image made of a HD to an SSD with the SSD not having the partitions predefined. Are there any settings I need to make in IFL that does the restore in such a way that the partitions are correctly aligned to suit the SSD?

(3) Making an Image of an SSD Partition and Restore it to an SSD
=========================================================
In this scenario I make an image of an SSD partition that is correctly aligned and then later restore that partition image back to an SSD which also has its partitions correctly aligned. Is there any setting that I need to make to get IFL to align the partition correctly during the restore operation?

(4) Making an Image of an SSD Partition and Restoring that Image to a HD
=================================================================
In this scenario an image is made of an SSD partition that is correctly aligned and will be used to restore that partition to a HD. Is there any setting that would need to be made in IFL which would take account of (maybe) different alignment requirements for a HD (as opposed to an SSD)?

It also occurs to me that, out of ignorance of SSDs, there are other considerations that I should bear in mind when imaging and restoring SSD partitions. If there are additional considerations I am missing I would be grateful for comments on the matter.
Brian K

Re: IFD IFL SSDs and HD Images

Post by Brian K »

Radish,

I assume you plan on transferring your partitions from your HD to a SSD. What size are the two drives? What size are the partitions on the HD? How much data is in each partition?
Radish

Post by Radish »

Following from advice on various pages on the web I decided to do a completely fresh install of Win7 to the SSD. Seemed the way to go from what I was reading.

Got the system installed and tweaked to suit an SSD and am now ready to image the boot partition off. So I'll just straightforwardly create an entire new set of images for the SSD and keep all that separate from the images for the HDs.

However, that still leaves me with questions on what I do when I want to restore the SSD image back to the SSD. Are there any settings that I need to make to suit a restore to an SSD? In particular I'm clueless as to whether or not the partition alignment will be trashed by IFL if I restore the system from an image.

So what particular settings, if any, do I need to make when restoring to an SSD?
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

If you wiped the disk and started from scratch and created all partitions with BIBM Partition Work before any install you shouldn't run into any alignment issues, SSD to HDD or vice versa. This is the recommended method, but can't always be followed in real practice. It's when you combine where/ when partitions are created there can be issues. You will be warned of the conflict before executing anything. There's a check box in setup to align things, if so. Don't remember exactly what it's called without re-booting. If you don't see it, I'll look at next re-boot to check. Something to do with a 1MB offset. Others may answer before that or correct anything I may erred.
Radish

Post by Radish »

mashedmitten wrote:
> If you wiped the disk and started from scratch and created all partitions
> with BIBM Partition Work before any install you shouldn't run into any
> alignment issues, SSD to HDD or vice versa.

I don't understand this. What is it that you are saying? Are you saying that before restoring an image to an SSD partition that it is necessary to "wipe" that partition first? Also could you please clarify what you mean by "wipe"?

And, yes, could you please clarify the 1MB offset setting that you are referring to that would be of some help. In what what sort of situation should that be used?
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Radish wrote:
> mashedmitten wrote:
> > If you wiped the disk and started from scratch and created all partitions
> > with BIBM Partition Work before any install you shouldn't run into any
> > alignment issues, SSD to HDD or vice versa.
>
> I don't understand this. What is it that you are saying? Are you saying that before
> restoring an image to an SSD partition that it is necessary to "wipe" that
> partition first? Also could you please clarify what you mean by "wipe"?
>
> And, yes, could you please clarify the 1MB offset setting that you are referring to
> that would be of some help. In what what sort of situation should that be used?

No, the wipe takes place, or not before installing BIBM. After that, no. It's for when you start from scratch, only.

You'll get a warning things aren't aligned and the ability to abort if you don't understand why. There's probably a KB that explains it better, but I'll give it a whirl. BIBM doesn't always consider drive alignment the same as other partition work apps and Windows itself (other OS's?). IOW the MBR doesn't match what BIBM thinks it should be. The check box is to force BIBM to go with what the MBR reports and not where it thinks things should be placed.