Imaging To A Smaller Drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Mike

Imaging To A Smaller Drive

Post by Mike »

I'm trying to image my daughter's Toshiba Windows 7 Home laptop computer to an SSD. Her present drive is 500GB and has two partitions: 400GB and 100GB. Only the 400GB partition, which is 1/3 full, is needed. I shrunk the 400GB partition to 150GB without issue. Then, I used IFL to copy the boot partition and the 150GB partition to the 240GB SSD. The boot partition (according to BIBM) is set to Active. I told IFL to scale the image to fit. Everything seems to have worked well, but the SSD will not boot. What am I doing wrong?
mashedmitten

Re: Imaging To A Smaller Drive

Post by mashedmitten »

You should be booting to the OS partition. What are you calling the boot partition, the 100GB? Are you sure the re-size didn't wipe out anything? I use Defraggler to compact partitions before re-sizing so I can see what's where.

Not GPT, right?
Mike

Post by Mike »

The OS partition is the 400GB partition. The 100GB partition is Drive D, for storage. There was plenty of space for the resize. Nothing is wiped out.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Mike wrote:
> Everything seems to have worked well, but the SSD will not boot.

Mike,

What error message do you see? Have you checked BCD Edit?
Mike

Post by Mike »

The error is "no bootable media" found. However, I think I solved the problem. I clicked on "Windows 7 MBR", and now it's working. The reason is not clear to me, but at least it's working. Thanks.