TeraByte WinPE Boot Disc

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Bob Coleman

Re: TeraByte WinPE Boot Disc

Post by Bob Coleman »

I really don't understand WinPE or WinRE at all, but there seem to be so many questions and references to cumbersome building processes, then a statement that "I only use the TBwinXE for restores".

Why not just use either IFD or IFL for restores and avoid all the complications?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

In the case of TBWinRE, the process when using TBWinPE/RE Builder is normally just a few steps through a wizard and a few minutes of time. TBWinPE requires the AIK/ADK files, otherwise it's basically the same steps for a base build. The process can be more complicated if you use alternate methods to create the build (such as one of the script versions or a custom build).

You certainly could use IFD or IFL. TBWinRE and TBWinPE are the boot media that use IFW. So, if you want to use IFW or prefer or require Windows-based restore media then you would use one of them.

In regards to understanding WinPE and WinRE:

WinRE refers to the Windows Recovery Environment. This is included with Windows 7 and later. It is available to be booted into from the Windows boot menu and can be used for repairs, etc. WinRE is based on WinPE. The TBWinRE build is created using the installed WinRE files.

WinPE refers to the Windows Pre-installation Environment. It's generally used for installing Windows (e.g. your Windows installation DVD or UFD), but can also be used for repairs or offline access. These files are not installed with Windows and require a large download from Microsoft. The TBWinPE build is created using the WinPE files.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

Bob,
It is no more bother to create a TBWinPE/RE boot medium than it is to create an IFL/D medium once it ts all set up. After that it is just as simple to boot one as the other. I like to use IFW under TBWinPE for backing up one of my systems because, for some reason Windows 10 likes to do some disk-intensive operations at the same time, which sends the backup times through the roof.

Using IFW under TBWinPE also allows me to use my IFW_Backup batch system to manage my backups.
pablo

Post by pablo »

I used Win 10 ADK to create a TBWinPE recovery disk and it blue-screened (Stop Code: NTFS File System). This happened with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Then I created a TBWinRE disk with the Win 7 desktop. It also blue-screened (Stop: 0x00000024). Maybe that explains why I've been using TBWinPE all this time. I'll continue doing so with AIK 3.1 and I'll save the installation folder on another drive.

Paul, you're correct; TBWinRE creation is easy with the IFW boot disk creator.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Paul, just to be sure, what installation folder do I need to save? C:\Program Files\Windows AIK - the entire folder or just one of the subfolders?

By the way, TBWinPE based on AIK 3.1 is working fine on my desktop, both the 32 and 64 bit versions.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Yes. It's the folder that contains Docs, Samples, SDKs, Tools, etc. Saving the entire folder is recommended.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

My folder (it's called 10 but I've probably renamed it) contains 2 folders...

Assessment and Deployment Kit
Catalogs
TeraByte Support(PP)

The folder structure is different between the AIK (Windows 7) and the ADK (Windows 8.x/10). However, in all cases, it's the installation folder you want to save.