Image and Bitlocker

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Scott

Image and Bitlocker

Post by Scott »

I run Win10 Pro and I'm seriously considering enabling Bitlocker across the entire Windows volume. (I do have an SSD, but my BIOS does not support "Class 0" encryption.)

Looking through the posts here, I see people saying that they restore Bitlocker-encrypted Windows volumes from TBWinRE. When I used TrueCrypt under Win8 on my Windows volume, I always backed up with IFW from within Win8 itself (using PHYLock, of course), then restored the entire volume from IFD or IFL.

Is there some reason I could not use the same backup/restore methods with Bitlocker?
DrTeeth

Re: Image and Bitlocker

Post by DrTeeth »

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:14:40 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Scott disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Is there some reason I could not use the same backup/restore methods with Bitlocker?

I cannot answer your question, but be careful if you are using
unlimited primaries. Enabling Bitlocker, can in some situations,
create another partition. This must NOT be allowed to happen as with
unlimited primaries, only BIBM should create and manipulate them.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Scott

Re: Image and Bitlocker

Post by Scott »

I'm going to go ahead and answer myself. The answer is no, there's no reason the same approach would not work.

However, since posting this, I've decided to use Bitlocker on all my fixed drives, so now I have to use TBWinRE in order to access the backup I'm restoring from.

A new hassle that has appeared is that drive letters are idiotically assigned in WinRE, so what would normally be "C:" becomes H: (hey, why not?) and I can't even remember what I normally use "X:" for was mapped as. But hey, it's only 2016. We have at least 758 more years before we can count on drive letters not being a source of hassle.