Windows 10 recovery without desktop access

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
rustleg

Windows 10 recovery without desktop access

Post by rustleg »

I'm at a loss to understand the recovery options for Windows 10. I created a IFU disc because my new laptop has Win 10 in a UEFI/GPT system (installed from iso on a clean SSD).

Several internet articles say that to recover Windows you boot into the recovery environment via shift-click Restart, but this appears to assume you have already been able to boot into Windows. When I tried to boot from the IFU CD I just got a blank screen. I have been able to get to the recovery environment to make an image, and presumably will be able to restore an image from here although I haven't tried it yet. But I want to know how to get to the recovery environment if Windows won't boot to the desktop. In the past I could boot a IFD CD but that was when I used a MBR system. Please advise.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Windows 10 recovery without desktop access

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You normally wouldn't use IFU. Many/most UEFI systems don't properly support required features.

Restores would generally be done using IFW (TBWinRE or TBWinPE) or IFL (IFD may work on some systems). For example, you would create a TBWinRE UFD and boot that to do offline restores. Booting into the installed Recovery Environment (WinRE) will also work, but the system needs to be working well enough to get into it. Note that if booting into Windows fails, it should switch to booting WinRE.