Thinking of buying Image for Windows

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Larrycleve

Thinking of buying Image for Windows

Post by Larrycleve »

Hi I had a few questions. I use the C partition for Win 10 and several data partitions. When making a backup are the 3 boot partitions in front of the C partition included so when restoring to a new hard drive it will boot? From reading the manual I assume I can backup each partition to a separate file and do it in one operation? Is the backup image the size of the partition or just the actual data? In other words if I backed up 6 GB from a 100 GB partition would it be able to be restored to an 80 GB partition? And finally does the boot media let you create or change partitions? Thanks :)
Bob Coleman

Re: Thinking of buying Image for Windows

Post by Bob Coleman »

I'm just a user, not a Terabyte representative, but:

"When making a backup are the 3 boot partitions in front of the C partition included so when restoring to a new hard drive it will boot?"

You can back up the entire disk or explicitly select any or all partitions.

"From reading the manual I assume I can backup each partition to a separate file and do it in one operation?"

I don't think so. From my experience any combination of partitions backed up in one operation result in one backup (image) file containing the backup of all the selected partitions. However, on restore using the single backup file, you can select only the partition(s) you want to restore.

"Is the backup image the size of the partition or just the actual data?"

Normally, just the actual data, though there is an option to include unused space.

"In other words if I backed up 6 GB from a 100 GB partition would it be able to be restored to an 80 GB partition?"

Yes, though there are some limitations. If, for example, some portion of the 6 GB of data resided in the last 20 GB of the partition, restoring to an 80 GB partition wouldn't work though there is an option to compact the source before creating the backup. As I understand it, this should get around the problem, but I've never used this option.

"And finally does the boot media let you create or change partitions?"

As far as I know, only in a very limited sense (restoring into free space to create a partition). The companion product BootIt Bare Metal does all that and more.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Larrycleve wrote:
> From reading the manual I assume I can backup each partition to a separate
> file and do it in one operation?

Yes, use the Multi File option. Note that you can't restore multiple partitions from separate files in the same restore operation.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

Thanks for your answers. I'm going to try it. I've been using Shadowprotect for years which is quite good but expensive. You need a separate license for each computer for home use while this gives three for one license. This also gives the option for differential backup which Shadowprotect used to have but now doesn't.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Windows will sometimes allow you to reduce a partition's size from
Control Panel. I would start there on Windows computers.

My monitor on my laptop is going out. Shadows in lower right corner.
I am preparing an external USB hard drive that is larger than the one in
my old laptop. It was easy to resize the partitions on it in Win 7.

I know I reduced the Windows partition on this computer when it was new
from within Windows. I wanted a D partition. At the time I had BING and
it did not work to resize a 64 bit partition.

BIBM will probably do it easily.
Mary

On 7/12/2016 12:54 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> I'm just a user, not a Terabyte representative, but:
>
> "When making a backup are the 3 boot partitions in front of the C partition included so when restoring to a new hard drive it will boot?"
>
> You can back up the entire disk or explicitly select any or all partitions.
>
> "From reading the manual I assume I can backup each partition to a separate file and do it in one operation?"
>
> I don't think so. From my experience any combination of partitions backed up in one operation result in one backup (image) file containing the backup of all the selected partitions. However, on restore using the single backup file, you can select only the partition(s) you want to restore.
>
> "Is the backup image the size of the partition or just the actual data?"
>
> Normally, just the actual data, though there is an option to include unused space.
>
> "In other words if I backed up 6 GB from a 100 GB partition would it be able to be restored to an 80 GB partition?"
>
> Yes, though there are some limitations. If, for example, some portion of the 6 GB of data resided in the last 20 GB of the partition, restoring to an 80 GB partition wouldn't work though there is an option to compact the source before creating the backup. As I understand it, this should get around the problem, but I've never used this option.
>
> "And finally does the boot media let you create or change partitions?"
>
> As far as I know, only in a very limited sense (restoring into free space to create a partition). The companion product BootIt Bare Metal does all that and more.
>
>
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

AND I highly recommend IFW. As I recall you will also get IFL (Image for
Linux) that works well.
Mary

On 7/12/2016 4:51 PM, MJNelson wrote:
> Windows will sometimes allow you to reduce a partition's size from
> Control Panel. I would start there on Windows computers.
>
> My monitor on my laptop is going out. Shadows in lower right corner.
> I am preparing an external USB hard drive that is larger than the one in
> my old laptop. It was easy to resize the partitions on it in Win 7.
>
> I know I reduced the Windows partition on this computer when it was new
> from within Windows. I wanted a D partition. At the time I had BING and
> it did not work to resize a 64 bit partition.
>
> BIBM will probably do it easily.
> Mary
>
> On 7/12/2016 12:54 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
>> I'm just a user, not a Terabyte representative, but:
>>
>> "When making a backup are the 3 boot partitions in front of the C partition included so when restoring to a new hard drive it will boot?"
>>
>> You can back up the entire disk or explicitly select any or all partitions.
>>
>> "From reading the manual I assume I can backup each partition to a separate file and do it in one operation?"
>>
>> I don't think so. From my experience any combination of partitions backed up in one operation result in one backup (image) file containing the backup of all the selected partitions. However, on restore using the single backup file, you can select only the partition(s) you want to restore.
>>
>> "Is the backup image the size of the partition or just the actual data?"
>>
>> Normally, just the actual data, though there is an option to include unused space.
>>
>> "In other words if I backed up 6 GB from a 100 GB partition would it be able to be restored to an 80 GB partition?"
>>
>> Yes, though there are some limitations. If, for example, some portion of the 6 GB of data resided in the last 20 GB of the partition, restoring to an 80 GB partition wouldn't work though there is an option to compact the source before creating the backup. As I understand it, this should get around the problem, but I've never used this option.
>>
>> "And finally does the boot media let you create or change partitions?"
>>
>> As far as I know, only in a very limited sense (restoring into free space to create a partition). The companion product BootIt Bare Metal does all that and more.
>>
>>
>
>
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Sorry for the incorrect information above. I learned something here as I wasn't aware of the Multi File option to put the image of each partition in a different file.
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

Larrycleve wrote:
> Hi I had a few questions. I use the C partition for Win 10 and several data
> partitions. When making a backup are the 3 boot partitions in front of the
> C partition included so when restoring to a new hard drive it will boot?
> From reading the manual I assume I can backup each partition to a separate
> file and do it in one operation? Is the backup image the size of the
> partition or just the actual data? In other words if I backed up 6 GB from
> a 100 GB partition would it be able to be restored to an 80 GB partition?
> And finally does the boot media let you create or change partitions? Thanks
> :)

Sounds like you have a UEFI/GPT system. I'm just getting into a new laptop with this, but have used IFW and Bootit Bare Metal (BIBM) for years on MBR systems - brilliant software and support and this forum is very good.

I just clean installed Win 10 in a 250GB SSD then shrunk it to 100GB using Windows own Disk Management to create a data partition in the rest of the SSD. The advice I had was to disable virtual memory to remove the pagefile to avoid having unmoveable files in the middle of the C partition to be shrunk, which worked. You can then re-enable virtual memory after the resizing.

Backups are compressed data only and considerably smaller than the used space on the partition. Also you can omit the pagefile and hibernation file which are of no use in a system image.

My take on the 3 minor partitions in front of C is that they are so comparatively small that I image them along with C every time, so using one image file is preferable to keep them together on your backup medium.