Error occurred reading from Hard Drive, but only in Win10?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
jeffw_00

Error occurred reading from Hard Drive, but only in Win10?

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi - I have a trouble-free desktop PC running WIN7. I run IFW every night (full weekly, diff otherwise) without incident. Today I did a chkdsk (no problem), a full IFW backup using 2.99 (no problem), then I upgraded to W10, and tried another backup, and IFW gave me the message "An error has occurred reading from the hard drive; ignore the errors and continue?" I cancelled, tried running IFW again, and got the same message. I said continue, and it finished successfully (including validate) but said I had 16 bad sectors. So I tried a chkdsk in Win10. It hung up at 10% (which the web claims means your disk is bad).

Still, I went ahead and reverted to Windows 7 (as planned, I just wanted to establish the W10 license). I then ran a chkdsk (which ran clean) and a complete IFW backup (also ran clean).

Questions:

1) what are the consequences of "ignore the errors and continue"? The Knowledge base article (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=241) doesn't provide any info to help decide whether to say YES or NO to this question.

2) Do I have a problem with my disk?

THANKS!
/j

UPDATE - last night's differential ran clean (back in Win7)
TeraByte Support

Re: Error occurred reading from Hard Drive, but only in Win10?

Post by TeraByte Support »

sounds like you may have bad sectors. run the drive manufactures scan
utility or something like spinrite.

Those sectors may not have been used by Win7 yet.

"jeffw_00" wrote in message news:11629@public.image...

Hi - I have a trouble-free desktop PC running WIN7. I run IFW every night
(full weekly, diff otherwise) without incident. Today I did a chkdsk (no
problem), a full IFW backup using 2.99 (no problem), then I upgraded to W10,
and tried another backup, and IFW gave me the message "An error has occurred
reading from the hard drive; ignore the errors and continue?" I cancelled,
tried running IFW again, and got the same message. I said continue, and it
finished successfully (including validate) but said I had 16 bad sectors.
So I tried a chkdsk in Win10. It hung up at 10% (which the web claims
means your disk is bad).

Still, I went ahead and reverted to Windows 7 (as planned, I just wanted to
establish the W10 license). I then ran a chkdsk (which ran clean) and a
complete IFW backup (also ran clean).

Questions:

1) what are the consequences of "ignore the errors and continue"? The
Knowledge base article (

[
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=241
](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=241)

) doesn't provide any info to help decide whether to say YES or NO to this
question.

2) Do I have a problem with my disk?

THANKS!
/j

UPDATE - last night's differential ran clean (back in Win7)

jeffw_00

Re: Error occurred reading from Hard Drive, but only in Win1

Post by jeffw_00 »

Thanks - but can you explain why someone might want to "continue" (Or not) when getting this message?
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi - I read up on this a bit. Suppose there are a couple bad sectors, and even though I've used the machine for years and done periodic disk defrags, I never encountered it. Shouldn't Windows 10 have simply marked them bad and went on it's way? I'm wondering if they were bad before, marked bad, but Win10 isn't reading the win7 sector table properly?

I'll find a manufacturer disk took and run a check, but my gut says it that, although it may report some bad sectors, it won't report anything amiss.

[I know this is beyond the scope of IFW as IFW trusts the O/S for sector health information, but you guys know a LOT about this stuff, and wondering if you have an opinion - thanks!]

/j
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Yeah - the WD disk tool (Data lifeguard) says "Too many Bad Sectors". Time for a new disk - Surprised it wasn't detected before now?

(and no offense, but I really think your knowledge base article should have a little explanation as to the pros/cons of answering Y or N to ""Bad Sectors Detected - ignore the errors and continue"? I mean, does "continue" mean the backup will complete successfully? (and if not, why would I ever continue?")

Thanks!
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Ignoring the errors will allow the backup to continue, otherwise it will abort. This is helpful when you need the backup -- there might only be several sectors that are unable to be read, for example, and they might not even be important. The backup can complete successfully but any data that should have existed for the bad sectors will not be backed up since they couldn't be read. Creating a backup of a drive that has bad sectors can give you a good base for running recovery tools, especially on drives where every attempt might generate more failed sectors causing more data to be lost.

On the other hand, if there are many bad sectors, the backup may take a very long time to complete. If you have a current good backup you would probably just want to copy off any new/needed files and use the backup to restore to a new drive.
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Thanks Paul - that's really helpful and useful, and maybe worth of addition to the Knowledge Base ;-} ;-}

[PS - I think my WIn7 Backups are good since IFW never complains - I suspect Win10 ventured into some other part of the partition (since it's 500GB and only has 60GB In use) where it encountered the bad sectors]
/j
jelson

Post by jelson »

jeffw_00 wrote:
> Yeah - the WD disk tool (Data lifeguard) says "Too many Bad Sectors".
> Time for a new disk - Surprised it wasn't detected before now?

Sometimes you won't be alerted that a disk is failing until it does. Personally, I run Hard Disk Sentinel which continuously monitors the health of all my drives.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

On 2016-06-22 11:49 PM, jelson wrote:
> jeffw_00 wrote:
>> Yeah - the WD disk tool (Data lifeguard) says "Too many Bad Sectors".
>> Time for a new disk - Surprised it wasn't detected before now?
>
> Sometimes you won't be alerted that a disk is failing until it does. Personally, I run Hard Disk Sentinel which continuously monitors the health of all my drives.
>
>
How does that jibe (using Hard Disk Sentinel) with fact that you were
NOT notified of any issue?

Just asking

AlanD