Migration of HDD to SSD

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
ronk

Re: Migration of HDD to SSD

Post by ronk »

One thing noticed between IFL and IFW 2.98 vs. 2.95 with default settings applied: Full Backup file sizes are roughly 10% larger in size, both IFL and IFW. Any particular reason for that, some default setting changed or? All files validated at a slightly, but not much, faster speed than backing up, ..this to USB 3.0 drives from Win7.
ronk

Post by ronk »

I have one more 120gb SSD to convert to, and though the source drive is 500gb, with a 400+gb C: partition (primary,crash,etc) it shows in computer management to be only 48gb in use (Win7 and Office). However, when I attempt to do IFL copy, indicates over 200gb needed on the target. I tried shrinking as much as possible in Windows 7, but there is likely 'unmovable' OS files preventing any further reduction. Do I have options to somehow restore and compress with IFL? I have backups of the drive on USB as well.

I had all the recommended global and other settings, but I suspect they don't apply in this situation. I'm going to search through the forum and elsewhere to see what I can do. I home I dont have to re-install the OS, since it takes forever to get the OS updates completed since I only have a 'recovery partition' on an earlier backup which is 4-5 years back.

In looking at the IFL manual, it indicates one should be able to compact or resize boot partition:
"To compact a partition:
1. Start the TeraByte imaging program of your choice.
2. Select to create a backup.
3. On the partition selection screen highlight the partition that needs compacted.
4. Click the Compact button (graphical versions) or press F3 (console versions).
5. Enter the new size"
..................etc.

I completed this procedure, and though only 44gb are used, the compaction left the boot partition at 234gb.

So, in Win7, turned off virtual memory and its page file, system protection (temporarily), then rebooted and Win7 let me reduce it to just what I wanted. Worked! So now will do the partition copy HDD to SSD (SSD in primary Bay.

All good....IFL copy was quick and smooth with the appropriate settings.

Ron
Last edited by ronk on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

You need to compact immediately before taking the image. In IFW, after
selecting the disk or partitions to image on the 2nd screen there is a
'compact' button. There should be a similar facility in IFL.
ronk

Post by ronk »

Yes IFL has the compact option (F3 to see it), but as I noted, after compacting in IFL, but it was still too large to proceed. So by shutting down Windows VM, paging and restore protection, Win7 released enough to Win7's shrink worked fine. I didn't restore an image, but copied entire HDD to the SSD.

Ron
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

compacting doesn't resize, it moves the data inside which then will allow it
to fit when you choose the smaller target, after the copy/restore it would
resize it.

"ronk" wrote in message news:11150@public.image...

Yes IFL has the compact option (F3 to see it), but as I noted, after
compacting in IFL, but it was still too large to proceed. So by shutting
down Windows VM, paging and restore protection, Win7 released enough to
Win7's shrink worked fine. I didn't restore an image, but copied entire HDD
to the SSD.

Ron

ronk

Post by ronk »

Hmm, OK, perhaps I saw after the compact the size hadn't changed, and didn't go further to try the copy thinking it would fail after seeing that; not sure. I know before the compact it wouldn't let me copy. Oh well, next time.
Nonetheless, the copy with all the settings you recommended worked great!
Thanks,

Ron
ronk

Post by ronk »

Doing another SSD migration, Windows10 on HDD. W10 indicates HDD has 77gb of 500gb used, SSD is 128gb, but yet indication of 254gb needed for the IFL copy, with all appropriate settings as recommended earlier. HDD in swap bay, SSD in primary disk bay. Do I have to get back into W10, and shrink? If I disable virtual memory, paging, and delete restore points, will that shrink it? Or can I make image backup to external USB with HDD still in Hot swap bay, compacting it with F3 option, then restoring and IFL will resize after?

One issue though, there is a small WinRE (recovery) 750Mb after the primary one. This system was W7 with in place free W10 upgrade done. Will that partition get moved up in an IFL restore, or can it be deleted?

Ron
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You just need to compact the partition(s) before you copy. You can do this directly from IFL. For example, if the Windows partition shows that it will require 254GB of space to restore you could compact that partition to 100GB. This KB article has details on determining the space required, compacting for the copy/backup, etc.: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554

The small partition would be copied if it's included in the copy operation. If it's not needed it could be excluded.
ronk

Post by ronk »

Thanks, but I went ahead before you responded and did the following, which worked: 1)W10, cmd prompt, diskpart, deleted the 450mb winre partition, not needed since do full image IFL backups. Got message not enough room to shrink. so 2) turned off paging, kernel memory dump, etc, then 3)rebooted and shrunk volume to accomodate SSD, then 4) booted IFL USB and did copy with appropriate global and other parameters. Removed the HDD hot swap and booted W10 on SSD. Worked very well and fast. But, will check out the KB article as well.

Thanks!

Ron
ronk

Post by ronk »

Migrating another HDD to SSD. 1)Have the target SSD in the primary bay, and IFL copy HDD from the hot swap bay.

2)Settings (IFL Copy )
Scale to Fit
Align to Target

global options:
Align Partitions on 1Mib boundaries
Automatic Scaling Restrictions
Automatic Partition Update

Copy was 'completed successfully'
Removed HDD from hot swap
Powerup loads Bios, then get blinking cursor with black screen.

Any idea which other options I may need? Would 'Restore' from an Image react any differently?

This is a T510, the HDD is 80gb, the SSD is 128gb. I verified the Bios SATA is set to AHCI.

Just remembered that on another migration, had to set 'write standard MBR'. Shall try that an report back
UPDATE: For the record, yes, the 'write standard MBR' was necessary and all is working.

Ron

Ron