Restoring to end of free space area

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
rustleg

Restoring to end of free space area

Post by rustleg »

I imaged a partition which had free space in front of it. Later I wanted to restore this partition in its original position (the partition had been deleted) but couldn't find a way to tell IFD (run within BIBM) to restore it to the end of an area of free space which was bigger. I worked around this by restoring it elsewhere then copying it, but this seems like a fudge. When you create a partition you can specify free space before and after, but it seems not so on restore.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Restoring to end of free space area

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Did you try using the "Automatic" restore option? This should work if you're restoring back to the same drive.

Otherwise, you could have used the "Slide" option to move it after restoring, though it would probably have been quicker to undelete the old partition or create a new partition at the desired location and then restore to it.
rustleg

Re: Restoring to end of free space area

Post by rustleg »

I didn't really consider Automatic because I don't like to do anything automatic without understanding the ramifications. However I couldn't restore to exactly the same place. I had deleted the old partitions because I wanted to change the drive options to include align at 2048 which I expected would change the positions of the partitions slightly. Also I wasn't confident of being able to create a new partition of the exact same size - when I create a partition I often don't get the size I request but one a few MB different. As it happens one of the Linuxes needed Grub2 to be reinstalled so I think the partition location must have changed. (Actually used your instructions for reinstalling Grub2 on your website which were extremely helpful - thankyou).

Slide after restore is presumably the same as copy (if not overlapping) - yes presumably would do the job in 2 steps instead of one.

I think adding an option to specify free space before and after would be a useful addition to your program.