USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fixed?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.

USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fixed?

Postby jacobsee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:12 pm

I have IFW set to backup image daily via Windows 10 task scheduler. In Disk Management, my C: drive is drive #0, and my external USB backup drive is drive #1 (with drive letter D:). Here is my command line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe" /wait /simple /b /logfile:%backupLog% /uy /mi:5 /d:w0 /f:w1@0x1:\ /vb

Works great most of the time, but occasionally, the computer reboots with another usb flash drive attached, and the numbering switches. So the new drive becomes #1, and the intended backup drive becomes #2. So the backup goes to the new flash drive (E:) instead of the intended drive D:. Note that the drive letters don't change, just the drive index/number.

Is there a way to tie the destination drive to the same USB drive, even if other drives are occasionally attached? I didn't find a command line to use drive letter which seems to be more stable.

thanks!
Eric
jacobsee

Re: USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fixed?

Postby TeraByte Support » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Use the disk signature instead. Enable "Output Disk ID to Command
Line", then go through the UI and click show command to see how it's
used with /d and the value needed (or read the manual on the /d option).

On 11/27/2019 5:12 PM, jacobsee wrote:
> I have IFW set to backup image daily via Windows 10 task scheduler. In Disk Management, my C: drive is drive #0, and my external USB backup drive is drive #1 (with drive letter D:). Here is my command line:
>
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe" /wait /simple /b /logfile:%backupLog% /uy /mi:5 /d:w0 /f:w1@0x1:\ /vb
>
> Works great most of the time, but occasionally, the computer reboots with another usb flash drive attached, and the numbering switches. So the new drive becomes #1, and the intended backup drive becomes #2. So the backup goes to the new flash drive (E:) instead of the intended drive D:. Note that the drive letters don't change, just the drive index/number.
>
> Is there a way to tie the destination drive to the same USB drive, even if other drives are occasionally attached? I didn't find a command line to use drive letter which seems to be more stable.
>
> thanks!
> Eric
>
>

TeraByte Support

Re: USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fi

Postby Bob Coleman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:58 am

To jacobsee:

Here is a command line that I use:

C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe /v /uy /f:H:\Full5

and here is another one:

imagew64.exe /b /uy /base:"G:\FULL5" /f:"G:\2019-11-25 07-55-42" /hash /del

From those and your statement that your disk is always dirve letter D, I deduce that you could probably use:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew64.exe" /wait /simple /b /logfile:%backupLog% /uy /mi:5 /d:w0 /f:D:\ /vb
Bob Coleman

Re: USB drive number is changing, how to keep destination fi

Postby jacobsee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks for both suggestions, I will try them out and let you know how it goes!
jacobsee

Return to Image for DOS/Linux/Windows