IfL registration issue

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: IfL registration issue

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Is it just now that the keyboard isn't working in IFL? I assume it worked before since you have used IFL for a long time. Have you tried a different USB port (many systems have multiple controllers) or keyboard?

When I checked in an Ubuntu 18.04 install (would probably be the same from a Live CD), I just double-clicked to open the initrmfs.gz file. Then opened the initrmfs file. This mounts it like a drive (it shows up in the mounted drives and put an icon on the desktop). Opened the mounted drive and looked in the tbu folder.

Have you tried booting the UFD on another system? Does it have the same issue with the license and keyboard?

Another method to see the ifl.ini contents is to create a script that runs on startup.
* In the folder with the IFL files, go into the "scripts" folder.
* Create a new text file (I'm using "showini" here).
* Edit the showini file and type in the following:
#!/bin/bash
cat ifl.ini
read -p "Press ENTER to exit..."

* Save the showini file.
* Run MakeDisk and select the Traditional (custom) build type.
* Proceed until the "Boot Option - Scripting" step. Select the "Run All - Run All Scripts in the scripts Folder" option.
* Finish creating the boot media.

When you boot IFL it will run showini and display the ifl.ini file contents in a terminal window.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi Paul,

I managed to unzip the .gz file, but I could not do anything with initrmfs. It did not mount as a drive. This keyboard has not worked for a while. I use my mouse in IfL and only really needed the keyboard to type "reboot" ;-). I'll try again later when I nip into Linux, and report back.. I was using Linux Mint.

Have a great weekend,

DrTeeth
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi Paul,

Though initrmfs would not mount as a drive, I could unzip it.

I found ifl.ini and the correct information was there. I made the disk twice and each time I was asked to input registration information so the ini file is not being read somehow.

Please let me know if you would like me to run any other tests.

Cheers

DrT
TeraByte Support(PP)

When you enter the license info in MakeDisk are you typing it in or copy & pasting it? If copy & pasting, is it from the same source as before when it worked? If you normally copy & paste have you tried typing it in?

A couple things you could check below, but they require typing. Do you have a different keyboard that works to type in IFL?

You could enter your license details and then compare the updated ifl.ini file to the built-in version and see what changed.

Does the "Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries" option show enabled if you look in IFL's settings? If it does then it's reading the ifl.ini file.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi Paul,

I copy and paste the serial number from the same source each time. I keep a small RTF file handy that I have been using since v3 came out.

As I said, the correct info that I typed/pasted was present in Ifl.ini.

I do not think that there is much more I can do here. I'll just stick to the regular 32 bit version until somebody else gives it a go and maybe has the same issue. I have never had any issues with the 32 bit version, just the 64-bit. I assume that the 64 bit version has some advantage over the 32 bit version? If so, what are they please?

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers

DrT
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

DrTeeth wrote:
I'll just stick to
> the regular 32 bit version until somebody else gives it a go and maybe has
> the same issue. I have never had any issues with the 32 bit version, just
> the 64-bit.

Assuming that running the step to create IFL boot media when installing the suite creates the 32-bit version, that's probably the only version I've ever used.

However, taking the hint quoted above, I downloaded the 64-bit version and created boot media from it. When running Makedisk, I selected "Traditional - You have control over options. (Custom)" and let everything else default. For both IFL and BIBM, I typed my name and copy/pasted the appropriate key.

When booting the resulting UFD, I was not asked for registration details.
TeraByte Support(PP)

DrTeeth wrote:
> I assume that the 64 bit version has some advantage over the 32
> bit version? If so, what are they please?

In general, if the 32-bit version works that's the recommended version to use. The 64-bit version is needed in some cases where the 32-bit version doesn't support a system (won't boot or lacks drivers, for example). It also offers access to efivars if EFI file system enabled for use with TBOSDT.

For the license issue with IFL x64, can you email support with the system specifications (including the keyboard) and a photo showing the ifl.ini file open in the Editor in booted IFL x64 (this can be done with just the mouse)?
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi Paul,

May I just say first, that as much as I enjoy computing, electronics and ham radio, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate computers :o :D .

I prepared an x64 flash drive, forgot to print off the serial numbers for when booting into IfL. So booted into Linux Mint (a lot faster than Windows) to try to print them. The driver for my old HP laserjet does not print text and the driver for the Canon TS 6050 just produces error messages. So took a photo.

So I get an old USB keyboard out, getting hit on the head by a (light) object as I got it out of my cupboard. I put it on my lap and booted into IfL.

Not only did the fecking thing boot correctly, but my keyboard also works!!!! The only difference is that I have used a different card reader, but on the same USB port. Surelyt that could not make all the difference could it?

I still have the non-working initrmfs. I am happy to upload it to my web space for you even though it is large for your analysis.

Cheers

DrT
TeraByte Support(PP)

There are cases where a connected device causes issues. Does the old non-working version work on the system now?
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Tue, 22 May 2018 01:11:26 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>There are cases where a connected device causes issues. Does the old non-working version work on the system now?

I no longer have it. I just have the resulting initrmfs. Assuming that
it was the decide/card reader that was causing an issue, how can it
work on 32 bit IfL and fail on 64 bit IfL?

I will try and make another 64 bit version using the card reader that
was suspect before and see what the result is.

LATER:- That is bloody annoying. The 64 bit version in the suspect
device worked perfectly. BTW, even in the non-working examples, I
could get IfL to boot using the keyboard.

I can make these boot disks in my sleep. I always copy and paste the
serial numbers from text files made from your original email
containing the licence details. The way they are formatted, it is not
possible to add extra spaces when selecting.

The same options are always selected and I am reasonably confident
that I can type my own name ;-). Those who know me may not be that
sure.

After I had the first failure, you can be sure that I was extra
careful in creating the second drive, which also failed.

It's a real puzzle.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill