image resize possible?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation

image resize possible?

Postby leechap » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 am

I have a 500gb image created with BootitNG that is about 75% free space that I would like to be able to paste into a smaller free space, i this possible?

L4e
leechap
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: image resize possible?

Postby TeraByte Support » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 am

only after you resize it down so it will fit the partition boundaries.

"leechap" wrote in message news:3909@public.bootitng...

I have a 500gb image created with BootitNG that is about 75% free space that
I would like to be able to paste into a smaller free space, i this possible?

L4e

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: image resize possible?

Postby leechap » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks, my question is how does one resize an image? I know that I can resize a partition.
leechap
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: image resize possible?

Postby TeraByte Support » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 pm

you'd have to restore some place large enough then resize down and copy or
image again.

"leechap" wrote in message news:3916@public.bootitng...

Thanks, my question is how does one resize an image? I know that I can
resize a partition.

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: image resize possible?

Postby mjnelson99 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 am

Could IFD or IFL 1.99 resize in order to restore that image?
I don't remember if that is possible.
Mary

On 11/30/2012 12:42 AM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> you'd have to restore some place large enough then resize down and copy or
> image again.
>
> "leechap" wrote in message news:3916@public.bootitng...
>
> Thanks, my question is how does one resize an image? I know that I can
> resize a partition.
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: image resize possible?

Postby Bob Coleman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm

mjnelson99 wrote:
> Could IFD or IFL 1.99 resize in order to restore that image?
> I don't remember if that is possible.
> Mary
>
> On 11/30/2012 12:42 AM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> > you'd have to restore some place large enough then resize down and copy
> or
> > image again.
> >
> > "leechap" wrote in message news:3916@public.bootitng...
> >
> > Thanks, my question is how does one resize an image? I know that I can
> > resize a partition.
> >
> >

I don't think Terabyte Support is saying one can resize the image prior to restoring. He seems to be saying that one needs space as large as the image to restore into and THEN the restored partition can be resized which will make future images smaller.

My interpretation is that it is not possible to do what the original question asked.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: image resize possible?

Postby George » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 pm

You can't resize an image itself. When you create an image, use
compression. Also, use the option(s) to not archive the hibernate and
swap files. That can result in a smaller image file. Just "read the
fine manual."
George

On 11/30/2012 7:12 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> mjnelson99 wrote:
>> Could IFD or IFL 1.99 resize in order to restore that image?
>> I don't remember if that is possible.
>> Mary
>>
>> On 11/30/2012 12:42 AM, TeraByte Support wrote:
>>> you'd have to restore some place large enough then resize down and copy
>> or
>>> image again.
>>>
>>> "leechap" wrote in message news:3916@public.bootitng...
>>>
>>> Thanks, my question is how does one resize an image? I know that I can
>>> resize a partition.
>>>
>>>
>
> I don't think Terabyte Support is saying one can resize the image prior to restoring. He seems to be saying that one needs space as large as the image to restore into and THEN the restored partition can be resized which will make future images smaller.
>
> My interpretation is that it is not possible to do what the original question asked.
>
>
George
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 am

Re: image resize possible?

Postby mjnelson99 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:20 am

The Image 2 products may be able to resize on a restore.


On 11/30/2012 8:12 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> mjnelson99 wrote:
>> Could IFD or IFL 1.99 resize in order to restore that image?
>> I don't remember if that is possible.
>> Mary
>>
>> On 11/30/2012 12:42 AM, TeraByte Support wrote:
>>> you'd have to restore some place large enough then resize down and copy
>> or
>>> image again.
>>>
>>> "leechap" wrote in message news:3916@public.bootitng...
>>>
>>> Thanks, my question is how does one resize an image? I know that I can
>>> resize a partition.
>>>
>>>
>
> I don't think Terabyte Support is saying one can resize the image prior to restoring. He seems to be saying that one needs space as large as the image to restore into and THEN the restored partition can be resized which will make future images smaller.
>
> My interpretation is that it is not possible to do what the original question asked.
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: image resize possible?

Postby mjnelson99 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:16 am

If you still have access to that hard drive, the simplest
thing might be to resize the partition, then create a new image.
Mary

On 11/29/2012 1:30 AM, leechap wrote:
> I have a 500gb image created with BootitNG that is about 75% free space that I would like to be able to paste into a smaller free space, i this possible?
>
> L4e
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: image resize possible?

Postby mjnelson99 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:17 am

P.S. You don't paste an image. You would paste a copy.
You would restore it.
Mary

On 12/1/2012 12:16 PM, mjnelson99 wrote:
> If you still have access to that hard drive, the simplest
> thing might be to resize the partition, then create a new image.
> Mary
>
> On 11/29/2012 1:30 AM, leechap wrote:
>> I have a 500gb image created with BootitNG that is about 75% free space that I would like to be able to paste into a smaller free space, i this possible?
>>
>> L4e
>>
>>
>
>
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Next

Return to BootIt Next Generation