something fishy here

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation
schmibble

something fishy here

Post by schmibble »

I'm assuming that my version of BING (1.81, yeah, I know) is too out-of-date to use with recent hardware, but it's been so faithful for so long that I thought I'd at least check.

I just got a new laptop (well, new to me), a dell vostro 1510, 4G Ram, intel core duo 2Ghz t7250 loaded with 32-bit Windows 7, but otherwise clean--totally fresh install. So the first thing I did when I got home with it was boot up with my trusty ol' BING CD and attempt to paste an image to a removable drive. The operation proceeded normally, no error messages or anything; progress bars for both image creation and validation finished like they should; the only problem is that they did it in about 15 seconds apiece and created a microscopic image of 10 megabytes.

Since the Win7 installation is taking up 17 gigabytes, something is clearly wrong. It's been a long time since I've had to create a new image--I have a library of images for two rock-solid machines which have served me well since 2006, so this is the first time since ca. 2008 that I've actually made an image--but to my recollection BING never achieved that magnitude of compression.

So before I move forward with an attempt to resize the boot partition and create some additional logical drives, I thought I'd better see if I'll fubar the system because old BING won't work with new hardware.

Thanks...
TeraByte Support

Re: something fishy here

Post by TeraByte Support »

you should at least use 1.87, but upgrade to BIBM. If you want to have an
idea of what' sup, you can use things like "details" to show free/used space
in partition work/etc. Of course 10M is not the full 17g.

"schmibble" wrote in message news:3074@public.bootitng...

I'm assuming that my version of BING (1.81, yeah, I know) is too out-of-date
to use with recent hardware, but it's been so faithful for so long that I
thought I'd at least check.

I just got a new laptop (well, new to me), a dell vostro 1510, 4G Ram, intel
core duo 2Ghz t7250 loaded with 32-bit Windows 7, but otherwise
clean--totally fresh install. So the first thing I did when I got home with
it was boot up with my trusty ol' BING CD and attempt to paste an image to a
removable drive. The operation proceeded normally, no error messages or
anything; progress bars for both image creation and validation finished like
they should; the only problem is that they did it in about 15 seconds apiece
and created a microscopic image of 10 megabytes.

Since the Win7 installation is taking up 17 gigabytes, something is clearly
wrong. It's been a long time since I've had to create a new image--I have a
library of images for two rock-solid machines which have served me well
since 2006, so this is the first time since ca. 2008 that I've actually made
an image--but to my recollection BING never achieved that magnitude of
compression.

So before I move forward with an attempt to resize the boot partition and
create some additional logical drives, I thought I'd better see if I'll
fubar the system because old BING won't work with new hardware.

Thanks...

mjnelson99

Re: something fishy here

Post by mjnelson99 »

When I got a new laptop I attempted to resize a Win 7 X64
partition using BING 1.87.

It would not work, possibly because of X64. I forget the
exact message but BING was not detecting the partition the
way is should have done.

I used Win 7 itself to resize it with no problems AFTER I
created an image using IFL (Image for Linux).

BIBM would probably have worked fine for all the operations
I wanted to do. It is a good way to go.

BING will probably work OK on your 32 bit system.

Do update to 1.87 as previously suggested.
Mary

On 8/25/2012 12:23 AM, schmibble wrote:
> I'm assuming that my version of BING (1.81, yeah, I know) is too out-of-date to use with recent hardware, but it's been so faithful for so long that I thought I'd at least check.
>
> I just got a new laptop (well, new to me), a dell vostro 1510, 4G Ram, intel core duo 2Ghz t7250 loaded with 32-bit Windows 7, but otherwise clean--totally fresh install. So the first thing I did when I got home with it was boot up with my trusty ol' BING CD and attempt to paste an image to a removable drive. The operation proceeded normally, no error messages or anything; progress bars for both image creation and validation finished like they should; the only problem is that they did it in about 15 seconds apiece and created a microscopic image of 10 megabytes.
>
> Since the Win7 installation is taking up 17 gigabytes, something is clearly wrong. It's been a long time since I've had to create a new image--I have a library of images for two rock-solid machines which have served me well since 2006, so this is the first time since ca. 2008 that I've actually made an image--but to my recollection BING never achieved that magnitude of compression.
>
> So before I move forward with an attempt to resize the boot partition and create some additional logical drives, I thought I'd better see if I'll fubar the system because old BING won't work with new hardware.
>
> Thanks...
>
>