Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation

Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby rustleg » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:54 am

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC with this motherboard from Gigabyte (maybe with i3 or i5):
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4065#ov

(Likely to buy here as it's local to me)
http://tinyurl.com/kb5vc45

My question is has anyone got this board and does it run BIBM nicely? Or a similar Gigabyte motherboard?

More background: This is LGA 1155. I'm trying to avoid the latest series LGA1150 as I don't need USB3. But I'd like to add an SSD, therefore SATA3 would be good to have and so I can't really go lower. I want to run Linux as well as Windows 7. I don't know if I'll be able to find drivers for XP, so may have to decide whether to finally ditch XP. I'm a bit worried about UEFI BIOS's - is this going to cause me problems?
Russell
rustleg
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby TeraByte Support » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:59 pm

should be fine in normal BIOS mode - but you can use the trial to full test
it out.

"rustleg" wrote in message news:6315@public.bootitng...

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC with this motherboard from Gigabyte (maybe
with i3 or i5):

[
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4065#ov
](http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4065#ov)

(Likely to buy here as it's local to me)

[
http://tinyurl.com/kb5vc45
](http://tinyurl.com/kb5vc45)

My question is has anyone got this board and does it run BIBM nicely? Or a
similar Gigabyte motherboard?

More background: This is LGA 1155. I'm trying to avoid the latest series
LGA1150 as I don't need USB3. But I'd like to add an SSD, therefore SATA3
would be good to have and so I can't really go lower. I want to run Linux as
well as Windows 7. I don't know if I'll be able to find drivers for XP, so
may have to decide whether to finally ditch XP. I'm a bit worried about UEFI
BIOS's - is this going to cause me problems?

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby rustleg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 am

TeraByte Support wrote:
> should be fine in normal BIOS mode - but you can use the trial to full test
>
> it out.
>
> ...
By "trial" I assume you mean BIBM trial? It's the other way round. BIBM comes first (a long time user) so I don't want the motherboard if it doesn't run BIBM ok
Russell
rustleg
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby Brian K » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:37 am

rustleg wrote:
> so I don't want the motherboard if it doesn't run BIBM

Your BIOS should have 2 modes. UEFI and Legacy. Select Legacy as BIBM won't run in UEFI mode. Check the MB documentation to make sure you have Legacy.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby DrTeeth » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:11 am

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 00:52:40 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
rustleg disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>BIBM comes first (a long time user) so I don't want the motherboard if it doesn't run BIBM ok

That is exactly how I feel. Unfortunately, there is no way to find out
before purchasing. I HATE using BIBM with a keyboard.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby rustleg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 am

DrTeeth wrote:
> ...
>
> That is exactly how I feel. Unfortunately, there is no way to find out
> before purchasing. I HATE using BIBM with a keyboard.
> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> DrT
>
I sympathise, but if it works just with keyboard then I'll still use it. My friend has got used to using the keyboard as his mouse doesn't work with it. But he also had many problems when it would just freeze. I'd really like to avoid a motherboard in that state. His was an Asus, as is my current one which runs fine with BIBM (an old BING). So although choosing a manufacturer doesn't guarantee it works well, I'd still like to hear someone say they have a recent Gigabyte motherboard and have no problems.

As you say there's really no way to find out before purchasing unless someone else has the exact one and can verify it is ok. And it wouldn't be an acceptable cause for return as faulty just because it doesn't play with BIBM. Maybe I'll look for a seller with a no-quibble money back deal, not sure if I'll find one.
Russell
rustleg
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby TeraByte Support(PP) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Even the exact model isn't a sure thing. I have several ASUS boards that I had to upgrade the BIOS to get it to work with BIBM. Once it works I tend to leave it (unless there's a real pressing need). I've seen cases where a BIOS update will fix USB mouse support and then a future update will break it again. A newer version of the same board usually has a newer BIOS already installed and some resist or block going backwards.
Paul Purviance
TeraByte Support
TeraByte Support(PP)
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby DrTeeth » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:19 pm

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:58:20 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
rustleg disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>And it wouldn't be an acceptable cause for return as faulty just because it doesn't play with BIBM.

I beg to differ. From what TBU have said here, it is the shoddy
implementation of USB support in the BIOS that causes the problem -
aka broken code, aka a faulty product. Apparently the quality of BIOSs
has gone down the toilet as many of its functions have been taken over
by the OS.

I used to have an Asus m/b that would not work with a mouse and my
current one (Also Asus) does.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby rustleg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:25 pm

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:58:20 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> rustleg disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> >And it wouldn't be an acceptable cause for return as faulty just because
> it doesn't play with BIBM.
>
> I beg to differ. From what TBU have said here, it is the shoddy
> implementation of USB support in the BIOS that causes the problem -
> aka broken code, aka a faulty product. Apparently the quality of BIOSs
> has gone down the toilet as many of its functions have been taken over
> by the OS.
>
> I used to have an Asus m/b that would not work with a mouse and my
> current one (Also Asus) does.
> --
Perhaps I should have said "accepted" rather than "acceptable". If it runs Windows because Windows takes over at an early stage in the boot process and uses its own drivers, the manufacturers would say it does its job, although I agree that the bios is of poor quality these days, but that is the nature of commercial necessity.
Russell
rustleg
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Gigabyte motherboard - does it run BIBM ok?

Postby DrTeeth » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:29 pm

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:25:50 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
rustleg disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I agree that the bios is of poor quality these days, but that is the nature of commercial necessity.
If a BIOS is supposed to offer legacy USB support and does not
implement it properly, then it is defective and under UK law at least,
the consumer can return it. I do not buy the commercial necessity
argument - how about car manufacturers applying that philosophy to
their wares :-o?
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am


Return to BootIt Next Generation

cron