The boot partition must exist in the MBR

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
cgwilkinson

The boot partition must exist in the MBR

Post by cgwilkinson »

This is the strange error message (Notice) I am getting from BootIt BM when trying to set up a boot menu entry. When I try to add the boot partition BootIt BM gives me this error message. I have been using BootIt for many years and have never see this problem before. I cannot find any reference to this error message elsewhere on the forums or anywhere else on the Internet. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is that is producing this error message?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: The boot partition must exist in the MBR

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Make sure the booting partition is loaded into the MBR (use the "Fill" button in "MBR Details" on right side of window when editing the menu item) and that it's selected in the "Boot" drop-down box.
cgwilkinson

Post by cgwilkinson »

Thanks for the quick response. Yes this is what I am doing. When you select the boot partition on the "Boot" drop down box it automatically fills in the correct partition in the first entry of the MBR on the right hand side. I have also set up the other two partitions I need in the 2nd and 3rd position of the MBR but when I click on the OK button to save the menu entry I just receive this strange message. The other strange thing is that once this message occurs if I then go to select a different Boot partition from the "Boot" drop down box then BootIt BM squentially starts filling in the MBR records for HD2 despite the fact that the partitons I am selecting are all on HD1.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

which version are you using?

"cgwilkinson" wrote in message news:4353@public.bootitbm...

This is the strange error message (Notice) I am getting from BootIt BM when
trying to set up a boot menu entry. When I try to add the boot partition
BootIt BM gives me this error message. I have been using BootIt for many
years and have never see this problem before. I cannot find any reference to
this error message elsewhere on the forums or anywhere else on the Internet.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is that is producing this error
message?

cgwilkinson

Post by cgwilkinson »

I have now solved this problem. The computer I was working on did not have the latest version of BootIt BM. Upgrading to the latest version solved the problem. Many thanks for your help.