Boot parttition has stopped booting

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
eldiener

Boot parttition has stopped booting

Post by eldiener »

I had a boot partition for Ubuntu 20.0 under BootItBM. After deleting some boot partitions on the same drive as the Ubuntu boot partition my attempt to boot Ubuntu is met with a "Partition not found" message and an immediate drop down into a grub command line. Nothing I do now seems to get the boot partition to boot again. I have noticed that even after I deleted those other boot partitions the sequence of partitions on the drive remains the same so I do not understand why the boot code for Ubuntu should immediately fail. Any ideas about this and what I should do ?

I did try the reinstalling of Grub2 by using the BootItBM program. I set the BootItBM partiton to the Ubuntu boot partiton which is (hd0,msdos10), booted up from CD using the BootItBM program, and dropped down to the command line as instructed. But when I tried to do a search for /grub/grub.cfg the one that was reported to have been found was on (hd0,msdos8), which is where I have a working Mint installation and not Ubuntu. This makes no sense to me. Back in the BootItBM boot screen I can look at the Ubuntu boot partition files and there is certainly a /grub/grub.cfg file right there. So I am confused as to what is going on. Is it possible that despite showing me that it is using the bootable Ubuntu partitioon I selected when setting up the Ubuntu boot item for the boot menu that BootItBM is really using the Mint partition instead ? Hard to believe, but then I have no explanation why the search for /grub/grub.cfg should find the one on the Mint partition, which should be "hidden" rather than the one on the Ubuntu partition, which should be "unhidden". Needless to say not being able to boot into Ubuntu from the Terabyte Grub2 program so that I can run grub-install and update-grub.
TeraByte Support

Re: Boot parttition has stopped booting

Post by TeraByte Support »

Reinstall GRUB to the partition and then setup your boot item to boot where you installed it. See https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=408
eldiener

Re: Boot parttition has stopped booting

Post by eldiener »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Reinstall GRUB to the partition and then setup your boot item to boot where
> you installed it. See
> https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=408

I was following your link above but I must have had an older version of your grub2 program because it could not find the partition's /grub/grub.cfg file from the boot disk. After getting the latest version of your grub2 program everything went fine and I was able to boot into Ubuntu and reinstall GRUB, and now have Ubuntu working again.

Linux is very unforgiving. Remove a partition on a grub2 menu and it will not even begin to boot, while removing a partition it needs to mount and it will boot but then fail during the boot process and put the user into emergency mode. Both should be handled if Linux would simply bootup with what it can find and ignore and not mount what it can not find. But of course suggesting such simply things to Linux programmers is heresy, and they will never understand why the vast majority use Windows instead. I enjoy multi-booting into Linux distros using BootItBM, but what an annoyance Linux often is.