Win10 GPT on EFI system partition was corrupted, restore BCD -How?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
crashdummyplus

Win10 GPT on EFI system partition was corrupted, restore BCD -How?

Post by crashdummyplus »

Hello and first i want to thank Terabyte Unlimited for their nice and useful software products i have used for a long time now.

Now I encountered an issue with Win10 gpt on UEFI, so i cant get it starting again. Here is the story:

First thing was to disconnect the Sata plug from my Win10 disk (whole disk, Win10 GPT standard partitions, no other partitions) to be sure that it gets not corrupted in any way. Then I added a new SSD to my PC and successfully installed BIBM (1.67) on that new drive. After i reconnected my Win10 disk the GPT seems corrupted and Win10 does not start anymore. I have searched for the problem and found that "bootrec /fixboot" should fix the problem but i tried to repair the bootloader and followed the steps (diskpart - selceted the drive and volume - assigned drive letter... entered the command) but in command prompt / repair console of Windows install DVD it says "Access denied".

do someone has a resolution getting the Win10 on UEFI system starting again. I also saw that here is "BootIt UEFI" but i m confused becuase i didnt change anything on the win10 drive with BIBM...

Thank You!
Eric

Re: Win10 GPT on EFI system partition was corrupted, restore BCD -How?

Post by Eric »

As you are booting on UEFI, your new SSD disk must be partitioned in GPT, and you should use BIU (BootIt for UEFI) instead of BIBM (which can only work on MBR disk - it can work for GPT disk, but not boot on GPT disk, neither on UEFI system).
crashdummyplus

Post by crashdummyplus »

Thanks for your response, but i want to use the new SSD only for data partitions and i installed BIBM only for that reason on that SSD to manage it (if i change bios boot order to boot it) . I never touched the disk where Win10 system partition is located and i never tried to boot Win10 from BIBM. I only had access to it by BIBM- partition work but i did nothing with it. So how can i repair the BCD of Win10 or wherever the problem is.
crashdummyplus

Post by crashdummyplus »

OK i got it! It turned out that the "Boot Option Filter" in my BIOS was set to "Legacy only". I tried the option "UEFI and Legacy" (there is also a "UEFI only" option) and now it works. i m wondering that it worked installing Windows10 3 years ago. i never changed that setting must have overssen it but Win10 worked without troubles... hmm maybe this could help someone searching for the problem. The error message was "No proper boot device found" or a similiar message (pre-boot)