bootnow fault

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
zephyr98

bootnow fault

Post by zephyr98 »

hi:
im trying to use bootnow in a debian 10.9 setup. and am getting fatal error segmentation fault.
1. copied pieces into /usr/local/temp as root.
2. made a devmap.inf with the assignment 80=/dev/sda1
3. run ./bootnow 1 and got the error.
4. the bootnow permissions are fine (for my test i made it 777 even). also get same error just running ./bootnow with out without option. or with/without devmap.inf file.
5. finally, booted with legacy grub. (no uefi).

any hints on how i can proceed?
Brian K

Re: bootnow fault

Post by Brian K »

zephyr98,

Have you seen my post in the other thread? I didn't see the above when I posted.

Is devmap.inf a typo?
drvmap.inf should be
80=/dev/sda

(not a partition)

bootnow must be run as the superuser.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

You have to install all the 32-bit libraries for your relevant distro...

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=566
zephyr98

Post by zephyr98 »

i was able to install the 32bit libraries and found that bootnow works very well.

but then i hit a brick wall. the debian os variant that i wanted to use (proxmox ve as a hypervisor with debian 10), will not coexist with 32bit stuff.

so until bootnow comes in a 64bit version, i cant use it. and thats a shame. bootnow lets me use a mix os environment. i can even have my environement on a remote somewhere. and be happy jumping around. and one nice capability is jumping to another os, doing a full and proper backup, and jumping back. which means if some ransomeware nasty comes in, i do a simple restore. no worries.

soooo. any thoughts on when a 64 version of bootnow will be surfacing?
zephyr98

Post by zephyr98 »

i also bumped into a crude workaround for some of the bootnow functions- without using 32 libraries. crude yes- but it works. its based on the idea that in debian you can mount the bootit partition itself. and access the default.bm file.

and there is a record in that file that is the bootup item the last/next time the system is restarted. so you can edit in a new value. and reboot debian. and voila- you are where you would have been with bootnow.

note that the value is in displacement form so that value 1 is really the 2nd menu item.

the method assumes you have set a timeout value so the system will go to the last bootup.

crude- yes. but it works and without doing 32 bit libraries.

btw. i am doing this to be able to boot into proxmox from bootit. the latest version of proxmox-ve does not have access to an addressable parition (ie, sda1, sdb2). to that i cant seem to boot using bootit. but if you install proxmox on top of debian and dont use lvm, then partitions are available. so between the 2 ideas, i can have a remote menu systems.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

zephyr98 wrote:
>
> soooo. any thoughts on when a 64 version of bootnow will be surfacing?

The same issue affects "tbosdt". It only works if you have 32-bit shared libraries. In their absence, tbosdt can't be used to edit default.bbm.
zephyr98

Post by zephyr98 »

i found i could edit default.bm directly. with nano or vim or most text editors. its a nice simple flat file. and debian has no issues mounting booit partiton. so all is good.

not elegant but it works.