BootIt UEFI Cannot See My Hard Drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: BootIt UEFI Cannot See My Hard Drive

Post by Brian K »

I just tried the trial IFL. There is no Partition Work present.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I just made an IFL 2.99 UFD using my product keys for ver 2 IFL and BIBM.
It booted in UEFI mode, Partition Work is fine and partitions on my GPT disks are seen. I was surprised as partitions on my NVMe disks are seen.

IFL 2.99 sees all my partitions.
SammyBean

Post by SammyBean »

Hi Brian,

I just tried the IFL 3.43 trial. Very interesting. I'm not familiar with Linux, so there is a bit of a learning curve for me, and I cannot find a way of getting into "Partition Work", but when I try to run "Image for Linux" - I CAN see my Notebook drive as an option to "Backup" - So that is a good sign :-)

Let me "poke around" to see what I can find here.

Also, ... it looks like you have experimented with version 2.99 an may be making some progress. I do have a user key for that version too, so maybe I should give that a try.
SammyBean

Post by SammyBean »

ps - On IFL 3.43 (Trial) - When I'm in the "Work With Drives and Partitions" section: Under "Unmount All Drives/Partitions" only my USB drive is listed as "/dev/sdal:(15478M_vfat) - Should there be a listing for my Notebook drive?

But under "Drive Vendor/Model ID Data" - I can see the following:

Removable drives (sdx, mcblkx, nvmex): sda 15480 MiB JetFlash Transend 16GB
Fixed hard drives (sdx, mcblkx, nvmex): mcblk1: 59640 MiB (My notebook drive :-))
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

SammyBean wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> The latest BIOS version that is available for my Notebook is from 2017, so
> that is the one I'm using - it's about 4 years old.
>
> What are the implications of converting my Notebook drive from GPT to
> (E)MBR? and how would I do that? The notebook drive is a 64 GB eMMC Flash
> drive.

The implications are that you would essentially be running the PC as if it were a pre-UEFI PC. The firmware/BIOS would have to have legacy boot or compatibility mode. Unfortunately, I don't completely remember how I did it. There are Terabyte scripts and/or knowledge base articles for doing it or explaining how to do it.

However your situation is different than mine in that I was able to install BIU. I just couldn't get it to reliably handle multi-booting. Considering that, this may not even be relevant.

I definitely would not try this without first having a full disk backup and a method to restore it which you may not have at this point.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
> I just tried the trial IFL. There is no Partition Work present.

When creating IFL boot media, you have to input your BIBM or BIU key to get Partition Work. I don't know whether or not the trial version has that capability.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob Coleman wrote:

>
> When creating IFL boot media, you have to input your BIBM or BIU key to get Partition
> Work.

That's not an option with the IFL trial.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

SammyBean wrote:
>. I do have a user key for that version too, so maybe
> I should give that a try.

Yes, try IFL 2.99 with the BIBM product key. You should have a functioning Partition Work. At least I did.

I assume that's why you bought BIU. To use Partition Work, rather than for multi-booting.
SammyBean

Post by SammyBean »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your patient and informative assistance in helping me navigate this issue. I really appreciate it! and would not have thought to try IFL as an option. (I'm getting more impressed with Linux with this exposure)

Anyways, I did create a bootable USB drive that loads IFL (GUI) 2.99 and also has Partition Work as a menu item. When I access the partitions, my Notebook drive drive and its partitions are indeed visible. So this is a step in the right direction. Thanks again.

But I am concerned that the "Partition Work" version is quite dated: its version 1.32. That's probably because I used the key for the version I purchased before my most recent upgrade. Next step, I guess is the try the key for my recent upgrade, but I suspect that will probably not work because the version "embedded" in IFL 2.99 is not 1.70 (most recent version)

I think that I will contact Terabyte support to see if I purchased the upgrade for the Drive Image V3 product, I would then have access to the most recent version of BiBM from IFL (GUI) 3.43.

You are correct: that I bought BIU to access partition work (occasionally), but I also like backing up my computers using Image for DOS in case things go "south". This notebook of mine is the only computer I have that uses UEFI (rather than plain old BIOS) , so that is why I bought the upgrade.

Sam
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Sam, nice work.
Yes, check with Support about an upgrade to Drive Image V3 product. Then you will be able to have the most recent BootIt in your IFL.

With a UEFI system you can't use IFD. Use IFL. It's much faster anyway. I use it for almost all of my restores. You can also use IFW or IFU but IFU won't work with your BIOS.

You probably know the TeraByte apps are licensed for use on 5 of your Home computers.