BootIt UEFI Cannot See My Hard Drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
SammyBean

BootIt UEFI Cannot See My Hard Drive

Post by SammyBean »

I'm having problems installing BootIt UEFI. I am able to create the USP installation media and have my notebook boot from it, but when I try to install Bootit UEFI to a partition (or even access the drive from Partition Work), I get the following error message: "Setup was unable to find or create a partition".

I have updated all the drivers and the BIOS to the most recent that are posted and this does NOT help. I have also tried enabling the Direct DASD IO option, with no success.

My computer is a Lenovo ideapad MIIX 310-10ICR. It's about five years old, and unfortunately is not currently actively supported by Lenovo any more. Here are the main specifications:

Lenovo IdeaPad MIIX 310-10ICR (Miix Series)
Processor Intel Atom x5-Z8350 4 x 1.4 - 1.9 GHz, Cherry Trail
Graphics adapterIntel HD Graphics (Cherry Trail), Core: 500 MHz, 20.19.15.4404
Memory2048 MB , DDR3L 1600
Display10.10 inch 16:10, 1280 x 800 pixel 149 PPI, yes, IPS, detachable screen
MainboardIntel Cherry Trail
Storage64 GB eMMC Flash, 64 GB plus One Micro SD 64GB card

I've contacted Support at Terabyte, and they are unable to help me solve this problem. Their latest comment was:

"The UEFI implementations didn't get better until around 2018 so it may just be the older BIOS."

IF THERE IS ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME RESOLVE PROBLEM? I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP!

Thanks
Last edited by SammyBean on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian K

Re: BootIt UEFI Cannot See My Hard Drive

Post by Brian K »

Sammy,

So you can boot a BIU USB flash drive without installing BIU? When you click Partition Work, can you see partitions on the drive?
SammyBean

Post by SammyBean »

No, I cannot see my Notebook drive or any of the three partitions on it. (These show when up when I run "Disk Management" in Windows 10). The only drive that shows up in Partition Work is the USB drive (Drive 0) that I created when I ran the "makedisk" application, ... and then used to boot the Notebook.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

That's not promising.

Can you try this. Go to...

C:\Program Files (x86)\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\TeraByte OSD Tool Suite Pro\uefi

Double click makedisk.exe. Run through the screens and put ticks in the 3 optional components. Make a USB flash drive. Boot the flash drive.
At the @C:>
enter...
runtbs tbexplo.tbs

With the keyboard, select Partition Manager and press Enter. Wait 5 to 10 seconds.

Can you see your partitions?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

SammyBean wrote:

> I've contacted Support at Terabyte, and they are unable to help me solve
> this problem. Their latest comment was:
>
> "The UEFI implementations didn't get better until around 2018 so it
> may just be the older BIOS."
>
> IF THERE IS ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME RESOLVE PROBLEM? I WOULD BE VERY
> GRATEFULFOR ANY HELP!
>
> Thanks

I have four year old HP desktop. I did get BootIt UEFI installed, but never succeeded in getting multi-booting working properly. Probably not a "solution" you want, but I converted my disk from GPT to (E)MBR, installed BIBM and have been happy ever since,
SammyBean

Post by SammyBean »

Hi Brian,

You had my hopes up for a solution. I followed your instructions and it all went smoothly until I saw the data displayed by the Partition Manager:

HD0 - Hard Drive 0 - USB(0x0, 0x0) - MBR (15.12 GIB)
(C:)*TBOSDT (15477 MiB) Partition (01) FAT-32

So this is just the USB drive that I booted my Notebook with - Computer Drive NOT showing :-(

Thanks anyways
Last edited by SammyBean on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SammyBean

Post by SammyBean »

Hi Bob,

The latest BIOS version that is available for my Notebook is from 2017, so that is the one I'm using - it's about 4 years old.

What are the implications of converting my Notebook drive from GPT to (E)MBR? and how would I do that? The notebook drive is a 64 GB eMMC Flash drive.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Sammy, another idea. Make an IFL UFD (include your BootIt product key). IFL doesn't rely on the BIOS to see the drives.
Boot IFL and click PartWork. Can you see your partitions?
SammyBean

Post by SammyBean »

Thanks for the suggestion. I just recently purchased the BootIt Collection upgrade to use on my notebook which gives me access to BootIt UEFI v1.22 and BootIt BM v1.7 - It does not include a license for IFL and I only have a current license to use v2.99 of Image for Linux (which is now considered an "unsupported" version). The current version for IFL is 3.43. So I'm not sure if this is helpful. Also, how would installing IFL help me to do "Partition Work" on my notebook?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Sammy,

IFL contains Partition Work and does the same things that Partition Work does in BUI.

Maybe this will work. I'm not sure. Try the trial IFL 3.43 and check its Partition Work function.