BootIt UEFI 1.22 won't install

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
timg11

BootIt UEFI 1.22 won't install

Post by timg11 »

Dell Latitude 7480.

I ran makedisk for BootIt UEFI 1.22.
I can boot from USB drive as a UEFI device, and successfully complete the setup.
At the end, it says to remove media and restart.
When restarting, the system displays Missing Operating System.

I booted back into BIU and it repeats the install process, with the same result on the restart.

I removed all partitions on the SSD and tried again and still have the same result.
Brian K

Re: BootIt UEFI 1.22 won't install

Post by Brian K »

Is this the same Dell 7480 that you mentioned in .....

"IFL - cloning an Ubuntu system - target won't boot" on Mon Mar 15?
timg11

Post by timg11 »

@BrianK - yes it is the same Dell 7480. I managed to get Ubuntu installed. My original goal was to have this system dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows 10.
Due to the difficulty of that approach (I don't have weeks for trial and error) I'm now simply trying to get the system back to Windows 10.

I put the BIOS back to UEFI boot like it was for Windows 10, but simply restoring the image is still turning out to be a significant challenge.

Edit: The restore issue was caused by incompatible BIOS settings - the source system had "RAID" enabled and the target didn't.
When my current project is complete, I'll get back to experimenting with BIU and see if I can create a dual-boot Windows/Linux system.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I saw your BIOS issue with RAID and AHCI....

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=610

So you can boot IFL with RAID selected in the BIOS? Times have changed. My kids have Dell XPS laptops with the above issue.
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Interesting - The KB's don't have dates, so I don't know how old that article is.

I suspect I'll eventually have to solve the issue of converting the Windows install to run without RAID in the BIOS if I want to have a practical dual-boot setup. Why does having a RAID mode make sense for a single drive? I thought RAID was about drive arrays?
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Now that I know the RAID setting was the issue with Windows not restoring on the target system, it seems likely that it was also the issue with BIU not installing.
I found an article describing to convert Windows from RAID to AHCI, which I will attempt (when I get back to this), followed by installing BIU and then attempting dual boot to Ubuntu.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

if the RAID isn't spanned/stripped you could just turn it off and have osdtool.tbs install the standard drivers. Also presumes RAID mode doesn't skew the drive sectors, if so, you'd have to backup first, then restore without it.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> and have osdtool.tbs install the standard drivers.

Is this "Install default IDE and AHCI drivers" ?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

yes
timg11

Post by timg11 »

I found a couple of articles that show how to convert a Windows install from RAID to AHCI.
https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/ar ... de-to-ahci
https://askubuntu.com/questions/963087/ ... nd-raid-on

Unfortunately they don't work. After running the bcedit command in Windows and changing the BIOS SATA setting to AHCI, windows will not boot at all (will not boot into safe mode). It fails with stop code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. After changing the BIOS back to RAID, it will eventually boot back into Safe mode (after a few feeble attempts at "repair").

So I'm back to understanding the "osdtool.tbs install the standard drivers" process.
I'm still not sure how this is supposed to work. I thought I could run this to add the drivers.
I tried running OSDTOOL selected the Windows installation, and chose "Install default IDE and AHCI drivers"

However the system is still unable to boot with the BIOS set to AHCI - It fails with stop code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

I tried running it before setting the bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal and changing the bios. It failed to boot.
So I ran OSDTOOL again and loaded the drivers and tried to boot Windows. Still no.

What did I miss?